1. What is the Brose Groups business and what are the critical success factors (CSF’s) in a business like Brose’s? [List]
Brose Groups manufactures and supplies aircraft and auto parts. The group supplies a wide range of auto parts which include seat adjusters, doors, windows, and other related products.
New product development using the best technology, innovation, and creativity.
Effective advertising, and
Proper application of Competitive Intelligence.
2. What operational, management and control, and corporate learning/innovation challenges were faced by Brose during its rapid expansion over the last two decades? [table]
Communication problems among customers, plants and suppliers
High costs of information management and information technology investment.
High operational costs
Lack of standardization
Management and Control
Poor oversight and measure of the business process
Inaccuracy of data in key processes.
Inaccurate business forecasting
Poor long-term planning.
Lack of proper innovation
3. What would be the benefits and the risks of retaining the functional application software found in each Brose location prior to the move to SAP? [table]
Less training expenses since the organization was used to the functional application software
Data inaccuracy due to use of several functional application software
High costs of information management
4. What were the benefits and risks of the move to SAP ERP software? [table]
There was improvements in productivity
Data accuracy thus good forecasting and proper long-term planning
High costs of reengineering and standardization of business processes for the SAP applications to be used appropriately.
A high cost of training since SAP ERP software was new in this organization.
Extra costs in hiring SAP experts
5. What steps did they take to minimize the risks associated with this kind of deployment? [list]
The organization followed the best practices of a well-established IT management.
Experts were hired to give light into the project. The SAP experts provided both support (process consulting and implementation supports) and training of users.
An implementation module was created which customers would use as a basis for long term.
A pilot approach was picked and the team of experts constructed the implementation to be used as a prototype for installation of subsequent plants.