What makes people take up online courses? There are many benefits! First of all, the flexibility of schedule that allows getting a college degree without disrupting career and family life. There is also a variety of choices – some courses simply aren’t available locally and online is the only way to access them without great inconveniences.
However, not everything in this garden of online knowledge is rosy. Distance learning presents its unique opportunities along with unique challenges. Want to know how to be a successful online student? Welcome to your first online course in efficiency!
Some study tips for online students echo the ones for traditional students – self-discipline, planning, time-management. However, some are not that obvious.
Tips for Taking Online Courses for Maximum Study Efficiency
Before we go into the topic of how to do well in online classes, let’s discuss the courses you are taking or about to take. It might be tempting to join a whole bunch of interesting classes at once, but you should be very frugal with your time. Asses realistically the amount of time you are prepared to spend every week studying. Now look at the selection of classes before you and choose which ones you can afford within your time budget.
If you have already taken up more than you can handle, consider dropping out of some less important course to save your time and energy. Don’t hesitate to ask for help – that’s what we are here for! Should the situation become desperate, turn to our free essay writing service.
Helpful Newbie Tips for Online Classes
Probably the most important of all tips and tricks on how to succeed in online classes is treating your online classes as you would the face-to-face ones, which means:
- Showing up regularly. Sometimes it’s difficult to set time aside, so you think that you will catch up another week. Don’t do that. You can choose time for your studying sessions – yes, but still within the limits. Study videos aren’t entertainment. They require your collaboration – you can’t binge-watch them all at one go and expect some knowledge just rub off on you.
- Doing the homework. Some works, like essays or tests, you will have to hand in, yet some tasks are never verified. Nonetheless, don’t ignore them. They are the little steps that help you to build the necessary skills for completing the final assignment. Then, when the time for your final paper arrives, instead of cramming, you can just look at How To Write An Essay Infographic for a revision and start writing.
- Taking notes. Since all the materials will be always available as videos and downloadable handouts, you might think that notes aren’t necessary. This can’t be further from the truth. Note-taking is the best way of making the most of your lectures because it makes you listen actively, analyze what you’ve heard and elicit the key points.
- Making regular breaks. If you are working on a task for more than an hour your concentration drops. In schools and colleges, they have regular breaks. Learning online, you will have to set the timer and arrange breaks yourself.
Key Strategies for Successful Online Learning
Now let’s take a look at some online learning strategies that will ensure you will study efficiently.
- Have a designated space for studying. This is one of the most popular online learning tips and for a reason. It is important to create a space where everything helps you to focus and be productive. Our brain develops responses for certain stimuli and we aren’t even aware of that – we treat those responses as our conscious decisions. For example, trying to work on a couch, where you usually relax is a bad idea, because everything about this place will be signaling you to relax and take a break.
Develop routines. This is particularly important if you cannot have a separate space and you have to study in the same spot where you sleep or dine. Come up with something that will flip a switch and put you in the right state of mind. It can be anything:
- Action: a short exercise, going through the affirmations, writing a to-do list, laying out the things you need for taking notes
- Sound: an inspiring song, a white noise to block out the distracting environment
- Object: place before you something that will be connected with the studying – a notebook, a mascot, a sticky note with your goal on it
- Smell: you can also trigger the right state of mind with a smell. Maybe you already have your go-to studying smell (smell of a book or a sharpie, for example); if not, consider lemons – they are known for invigorating qualities that help focus.
- Find out when you learn the best. Many sources advise studying in the morning when you are refreshed and your brain is in its peak condition. However, in reality, it’s individual and varies widely. Some may feel rather groggy in the morning. The ability to study whenever you like is the major boon of online classes. Figure out which time window is your most productive hours and try to schedule sessions accordingly.
Best Online College Tips for Extraverts
How to be a successful online college student if you are an extravert, who finds online course less stimulating than face-to-face interaction with a group? The answer is simple – you don’t have to be alone!
Join student forums. Most of the courses offer some sort of discussion group activities, don’t miss out on this opportunity to exchange impressions and tips.
Create a study group. If you need a smaller circle of like-minded learners, you can create your study group and work together – via chat, videoconference, or a shared virtual corkboard.
Contact your instructors. Online courses usually offer the same support as courses in the brick-and-mortar colleges. Your instructors will be ready to answer your questions about the coursework. Don’t be afraid to contact them via channels they give you at the beginning of the course.
How to Be Successful In Online Classes 101 Complete!
Congratulations on passing your 101 course in online efficiency! As you can see, succeeding in online classes is all about the right attitude, a bit of planning, and creating your own supportive community. Here on WowEssays you already have such a community of enthusiastic students and can always count on support and help!