You’ve got this new assignment and it’s kind of confusing. Intuitively you guess, it has something to do with the information, but you aren’t hundred-percent sure. Most of the students react this way.
Before you sit down to brainstorm informative essays ideas, you should understand what informative essay is. Rejoice, for it’s the most straightforward type of essay there is and – yes – it’s about informing your readers on a particular subject. The structure of this type of paper is the classic five-paragraph essay:
- 1 Paragraph at the beginning – the Introduction
- 3 Paragraphs in the middle – the Body
- 1 Paragraph at the end – the Conclusion
The trick is to find topics for an informative essay that will be fresh and interesting for your audience.
How to Pick a Topic for Informative Essay
The goal is to introduce some new information about the topic to your audience – be it an expert opinion, current data or lesser-known facts. For this very reason, good topics for informative essay are usually quite specific. It’s difficult to inform people about a subject as broad as art or love within a short paper. However, The Depiction of Love in Rococo Works of Art fits just right because it’s possible to present some key facts yet unknown to the audience.
However, being too specific has a danger of its own – there might be too little information. For a topic as focused as, for example, The Depiction of Lovers in Albrecht Durer’s Art information will scarcely be enough for one paragraph, let alone for an informative essay.
Which Informative Essay Ideas Work Best?
Now it’s time to brainstorm informative essay topic ideas. The best you can do is to go for something you are familiar with, a field where you have the competence or unique insight to share. Why?
First of all, to inform your audience about anything you must have some sort of authority. For example, if you play hockey, you have something to tell about it to your classmates, who aren’t hockey players themselves. If you are adopted, you can share your unique experience and tell about it to people who don’t know what it’s like to grow up as an adoptee.
Of course, you will still have to do research for your paper to make it informative, but having an experience with the topic is a huge benefit. Moreover, this will make your work more engaging for you.
If you need some inspiration, look below. Most of the topics are complete with examples from our essay databases, so you can read to see how different authors approach their topics.
Simple Informative Paper Topics for Beginners
Informative essay as a subgenre of academic writing doesn’t appear before high school, however, any report paper with a definition and some explanatory content can be viewed as an informative essay.
For example, in elementary school informational writing topics include texts, pictures, and collages. However, their aim is to teach young students the basics of research, and pupils usually present their projects to inform classmates about the topic.
These are examples of such informative research paper topics for elementary school students:
- My Favorite Holiday (how my family celebrates it, what we cook, what we do)
- The Rare Plant of My State (choose any rare plant to describe)
- The Rare Animal of My State (choose any rare animal)
- My Favorite Town (choose any town – a town you live in now, a town you were born in, a town where your grandparents live, a town you dream to visit one day)
- Interesting Facts About Any State in the USA (apart from the one we live in)
- My Favorite Sport (either to participate or to watch)
- Interesting Facts About Any Country in the World
- The Most Fascinating Continent Is… (chose one and tell us why it’s so)
- The Most Interesting Animal in the World is… (choose one and tell us why)
- The Great Explorer (choose any personality)
- The Greatest Discovery of All Time
- My Favorite Book
- Tell Us About Any National Park in the USA
Easy Informative Essay Topics for Middle School
Middle school is the right time to introduce some more specific topics that require more research. Still, they are easy and engaging enough for preteens. Here are some good examples of informative essay topics for middle-school students:
- Essay About English Language History
- Future Energy Essay: Benefits Of Solar Energy
- Religion In Jane Eyre Essay
- Essays On Human Rights Theories
- Why Did Dinosaurs Extinct – The Main Theories
- What People Can Do to Preserve Nature In This State
- How to Live Healthier as a Student
- Why Some People Like Extreme Sports
- My Favorite Author (either American or from the World Literature)
- A Celebrity Who Had a Great Positive Impact on Society (choose a personality to write about)
- The Most Inspiring Scientist of All Time
- A Person I Admire
- Consequences of Fast-Food Diet for Your Health
Interesting Informative Essay Topics for High School
Informational essay topics for high-school students become more serious and complex. They might tackle controversial subjects and involve ethical and legal aspects. However, there is still some room for fun, so hobbies and favorite things are also welcome.
- Vaccinations Essay: Why Vaccinations Are Important
- War And Terrorism In The 21st Century Essay
- Essays On Mental Health Awareness Program
- Essay On Characteristics Of Romanticism
- Quitting Smoking Essay
- Effects of Marijuana on Body and Mind
- Greatest Epidemics of All Time
- Topics Unique to American Poetry
- Causes of Depression in Young People
- Dangers of Cyberbullying
- Ways to Deal with Stress
- Ethical Choices and Trade-offs in Videogames
- The Ancient Roots of Big Sporting Events
- Effects of Eating Disorders on Teens
Informative Essay Topics for College Students
List of informative essay topics for college students includes fewer general subjects and more specific, career-related options. If you need a good essay example, take a look at the list below:
- Mechanical Engineering Essay Example
- Growth Trends In The Skin-Care Industry Essay
- High Cost For International Students Studying In The US - International Student Essay Sample
- Sustainable Essay: Ways of Achieving Sustainable Development
- Forensic Psychology Essay
- Perceptual Distortions And Errors Essay
- History Of The Juvenile Justice System Essay
- Sample Observation Report For Coca Cola Company Essay
- Natural Disasters and Response Coordination
- Benefits of Meditation for Mental Health
- History of Plastic Surgery
- Sustainable and Eco-Friendly Alternatives to Plastic
- Ways to Engage With Poetry In Modern Life
Didn’t Find Suitable Informative Topics to Write About?
This is not surprising. All the good topics to write an informative essay on should have a part of your personality in it. They are factual, but they should bear a seal of your expertise or fascination on them. That is why you should look at our essay topics generator! There you can generate great topics for essays based on the things you like!
Don’t forget that we are always there for you if you experience difficulties at any stage of your essay-writing process. Contact us if ever you need help.