The problem-solution essay is a popular academic assignment. It is a form of persuasive writing where you have to explain the problem to your readers, convince them that the problem is significant and worth solving, present your solution, and refute any possible counterarguments that you can foresee.
A good problem and solution essay suggests an actionable and efficient solution. It doesn't have to be easy, but it must be realistic and possible to implement. Keep that in mind while brainstorming problem solution essay topics.
The composition depends on your essay's volume. However, there are some necessary elements.
- Introduction to the problem
In your essay's introduction, lay the problem out before your readers. If the word count allows it, you can add some background information, such as the cause of the problem, contributing issues, and its effects on a community. Include a short solution proposal as a thesis statement – just outline it in one or two sentences.
- Explain the significance of the problem
In the body of your essay, explore the problem and the solution you propose in detail. Present relevant research data to reinforce the importance of the issues at hand. Why should it be solved? Why should your audience care? How will the solution benefit everyone? Depending on the nature of the problem you've chosen, you can build your arguments on logic and statistical data or appeal to your audience's emotions by sharing a relatable human-interest story.
- Detail the solution you propose
Depending on the problem and word limit, you can propose several solutions. If that's the case, make sure you explore each answer in a different paragraph. Alternatively, if you have chosen to examine one solution, give each reason why this specific solution is good in a separate section.
- Be practical
Your solution doesn't have to be a step-by-step business plan with every little thing provided for, but a healthy dose of pragmatism never hurts. If your solution requires funding, think of where the funds can be procured. What non-profit organizations can you involve in your project? What is the approximate timeline of the project? And so on.
- Be persuasive
Don't forget that your goal is to persuade the audience that the problem is worth solving and that your solution is the most efficient. Appeal to any successful implementations of the solution if it was carried out before. If this is a new and original proposition, you may have to build your case on logical arguments. Cite any relevant data, expert opinion, studies, statistics, etc., as evidence. Explain why you are convinced your solution will be effective.
- End on a strong note
In your concluding paragraph, reiterate the gravity of the problem and reaffirm your solution's importance by putting it into a broader context. Recap your most significant arguments for the answer you've proposed and outline the steps that should be taken immediately. End with a call to action or with a thought-provoking rhetorical question that will make your audience agree with you. For example, "Wouldn't we all benefit from living in a fairer society?" or "Isn't human life the most important value we should strive to protect?"
As you can see, writing a problem and solution essay is not rocket science. If you have basic essay-writing skills and have ever dealt with research and persuasive writing, you will do just fine.
However, for your essay to be a success, you must choose the appropriate topic you can handle. Here is where we can help. Below you will find 100 topics for problem solution essays grouped by discipline. Some of them are interdisciplinary, so if you don't find what you need in a corresponding section, look in others. You may find something suitable there. The scale skews on the larger side, so feel free to narrow the topic down if you need something less ambitious.
Note that some of the suggestions below are linked to full samples from our free database – check them out! Already written essays are illustrative, which can be more instructive than guides. However, if the topic you like isn't linked, or you have your original idea you wish to see explored, turn to our essay writing service. We will prepare a customized sample for your following all the instructions – from word count to the tone of voice.
Problem Solution Topic Suggestions on Economics and Business
This subject area is one of the most popular for problem solution essay topics: from hands-on decisions on staff and marketing to global issues of financial markets. Start exploring the field with these topics:
- Gaining Strategic Advantage Through Customer Value
- Problems in the acquisition of the CRM
- Employee Attraction and Retention
- The Fiscal Cliff Crisis and the Solution
- Organizational Development and Change
- Staff Communication Problem
- Wastage and Embezzlement of Funds in an Organization
- Ways of Gaining a Competitive Edge in Overcrowded Markets
- Addressing Problematic Links in Your Supply Chain and Taking Social and Environmental Responsibility
- Reputation Management in the Age of Social Media Influencers and Instant Feedback
Sociology Problem Solution Speech Topics
Strive to eradicate inequality? Dream of improving life for your local community? Hone your problem-solving skills on these sociology topics.
- Income Inequality
- Burglary in Your Neighborhood
- Child Abuse
- Crime in the Community
- Keeping Kids Safe From Violence in Schools
- Consumption and Food Safety
- Sexual Assault on Campuses
- Accumulated National Student Debt
- Incel Subculture and Mass Shootings
- Bringing Down Unemployment Rates in Your Area
Technology Problem Solution Essay Topics for College Students
Problem-solving in technology requires you to stay one step ahead of the curve – often foreseeing the problem even before it arises. Prepare your analytic skills for the future with these topics.
- Linear and Integer Programming Modeling
- Design Problem Solutions via Singleton Pattern
- Problem Solving Using Microsoft Excel
- A Solution to Water Cooling System Issues in the Office
- Intelligent Lighting Condition to Solve Rising Energy Expenses
- Improvement of Dynamic Image Recognition for Self-Driving Vehicles
- Increasing Dexterity for Robotic Manpower
- Cloud Storage Crunch and Cleanup
- Technical Solutions for Organ Transplantation
- Distributed Manufacturing for Production Decentralization
Law and Criminal Justice Problem Solutions Topics
This area is ripe with the most challenging problems and ethical dilemmas rooted in politics, social issues, and psychology. Can you propose a fair solution to these often controversial problems?
- Felon Disenfranchisement in America
- Reducing the Growing Rate of Black on Black Crime in Baltimore City
- Effective Police Supervision
- Rehabilitation vs. Incarceration for Juvenile Offenders
- Action Plan For Addressing Political Issues
- Racial and Gender Discrimination in Drug Courts
- Racial Profiling and Police Brutality
- Ways to Counteract Human Trafficking and Forced Labor
- Inmate Abuse by Correction Officers
- Reducing Violence Against Homeless People
Environment Problem and Solution Essay Topics
Preserving our beautiful planet in a state fit to be a home to humanity for generations to come is one of the most pressing issues today. Try your best with these topics. Who knows, maybe your ideas will save the world?
- Reducing Waste by Upcycling
- Air Pollution from Cars and its Impact on Global Warming
- Climate Change as a Man-Made Problem, and its Solutions
- Grape Phylloxera, Daktulosphaira Vitifoliae
- How to Make Our Buildings Green
- Overconsumption in Fashion and Textile Waste
- Fracking, Its Effects on the Environment, and the Alternatives
- Wildlife Endangered by Farming and Development
- Light Pollution and Its Effects on Wildlife
Media and Communications Problem Solution Essay Topics List
We live in a watershed moment in the history of media and communications. As exciting as they are, these times always come with a host of challenges that usually accompany paradigm shifts of such a tectonic scale. You are the generation destined to grapple with problems that didn't even exist some ten years ago. Are you up to it? Try your ingenuity with these topics!
- Newspapers as a Dying Media
- Usage of Mobile Phones While Driving: Its Effects and Solutions
- The Problem of Anonymous Speech Online
- Managing Information Overload
- Cybersecurity of Personal Information
- Modern Problem of the Historical Context for a Right to Bear Arms
- Online Predators and Minors on Popular Apps
- Echo Chamber Effect of Social Media Algorithms
- Effects of Online Dating: Consumerism Mentality in Relationships
- Social Media Role in Terrorist Organizations
Problem Solution Essay Ideas for Nursing and Health Care
Health care has progressed far in recent years, prolonging life and improving its quality. However, the sky is the limit for such a noble endeavor. We urge you to think about these problems and push the boundaries of what is possible.
- The Problem of Obesity Across the Globe
- Problems of Healthcare in America
- Reducing the Nurse Turnover and Improving Nursing Satisfaction
- The Issues with Cardiopulmonary Bypass (CPB) Procedure and Possible Improvements
- Ways to Reduce Catheter Association Urinary Tract Infections (CA-UTI)
- The ER that Became the Emergency
- Food Additives and Unhealthiness
- Lack of Universal Quality Healthcare
- Ways to Reduce Consumption of Tabaco and Its Substitutes by Teenagers
- Adverse Effects of Added Sugar in the Diet and Ways to Reduce the Consumption
Psychology Problem-Solving Essay Topics
The human mind is one of the greatest mysteries of creation. We have only begun to understand how it works and what it is capable of. Care to explore the frontiers of gnosis? Start with these topics.
- Stress in the Mid-West Region of the United States
- Diagnosis and Treatment Planning for Couple's Therapy
- Critique of Conflict Management Styles
- Reducing Early Readmission Rates in Mentally Ill Patients By Implementing Multi-Component Transition Care Plan
- The Contribution of a Strength-Based Approach to Counselling
- Teenage Suicide and Possible Prevention Measures
- Work-Life Balance and Emotional Burnout
- Mental Health Effects of LGBTQ Youth Discrimination
- Influence of Screen Time and Interactivity on Early Cognitive Development
- Adverse Effects of Noise Pollution on Mental Health and Ways to Alleviate the Problem
Topics for Problem Solution Essay on Politics and International Relations
Politics is one of the trickiest subjects to handle. Polarizing and controversial, it encompasses every aspect of our existence – from money to moral values. Every solution to a political problem has wide ramifications that are sometimes impossible to foresee. Choosing the one that will satisfy everyone and will have primarily positive outcomes in the future is as tricky as treading on the edge of the sword. Care to try?
- The Solution to Syrian Conflict
- How Ordinary Men Became Genocidal Killers in the Holocaust
- Solution for the Problem of Undocumented Immigration
- European Business and Politics Are Too Close Are Often in Closed and Corrupt Relationships
- How Critical Theory Improves The Study Of International Politics
- Non-State Factors in Global Politics
- Globalization and Violent Radicalization
- Sustainable Development of Global Systems
- Viable Theory of International Democracy
- Peace-Making in Destabilized Regions
Problem Solution Paper Topics on Education
Solving one problem in education prevents a myriad of new issues from ever arising. This is a genuinely worthwhile endeavor, don't you think? Try solving one of these and put a stone into the edifice of a better future.
- Implementing Multicultural Education
- Description And Feasibility Of Solution To In The Inheritors
- Elementary School Quality Physical Education
- China's Problem With Graduate Unemployment
- Promotion of Art Education in Saudi Arabia by New Curriculum development
- Drawbacks of Fixed Mindset and Ways of Encouraging Growth Mindset in Older Students
- Persisting Stereotypes and Gender Bias in the Classroom
- Increasing Flexibility of Education Budgets for Sustainability and Innovation
- Updating and Personalizing Professional Development
- Developing Best Practices to Select and Evaluate Educational Digital Content