Writing across the curriculum and studying text
In this chapter “Writing across the curriculum” writing is portrayed as a platform to comprehend and internalize one’s thoughts about a certain subject. It explains the link of writing to the reading culture.
- While reading and writing, writers are involved in a continuous, dynamic process of composing a meaningful statement. These two aspects can’t be ignored since the reader extracts sense from the text as the writer communicates his understanding.
- Explorative writing enables students to realize the missing link between n their previous reading and the current .highlighting these loopholes through writing is essential
- I agree that writing is a testing tool for struggling learners in reading .Enabling students to express their thought through writing will reveal the relationship between students reading capability and reading.
- Reading and writing at the same time enables good coordination between a child’s mind and the physical activity of writing this enhances quick mind reaction to an issue and easier expression
This chapter “Studying Text” emphasizes on the effective methods of writing to harmonize the understanding through writing.
- Making and taking notes technique harmonizes both writing and reading .A student writes what he/she understands from a comprehension or takes notes from a verbal speech .this enhances coordination.
- Use of GRASP to summarize a discussion or comprehension is an efficient tool of enhancing understanding.
- I agree with the writer on emphases of summary and note taking as a driving tool to understanding .It enables the reader to record only the key points for future reference.
- Besides, use of graphics enables students to compare and contrast different aspects of certain deduction and make informed conclusions.
In the article “Thinking is Literacy, Literacy is thinking”, the writer talks about thinking as the ability to explain and manipulate interrelated ideas and strictly define them.
- Reading, speaking, writing and listening are the key pillars to teach thinking. A readers coherence; is determined by the aptitude in harnessing all the key factors.
- Learning requires frequent practice by concentrating on the main subject in a procedural manner until to arrive at an informed decision
- Thinking is a key element to decision making. An individual can only put into writing what he/she has thought about and concluded.
- I concur with the writer that learning has to incorporate all aspects .A person may be good in thinking, listening but is unable to express his thoughts through efficient writing.
In this article “Using Multiple Technologies to Teach Writing”, the writer highlights various changes that have accrued in the technology sector. Education sector has not been spared either
- Evolution off textured literacy is an achievement in writing. Students are able to combine spoken, visual and print in expressing an idea through writing. This is facilitated by various programmes installed in the computers.
- Use of visual imagery has enhanced the aspect of expression through writing .previously student could only write but had nothing to demonstrate their writing .nowadays, a student can create a program that can collaborate writing and images for effective expression.
- Technology is a motivating tool in children’s early stages of expression. Use of visual imagery relieves boredom in the children. Furthermore, the application allows the child to manipulate the images to suit his point of communication.
- Technology has created automatic programs where the students can practice writing on their own when free. This hastens the speedy coordination of writing and learning.
The article “Writing in Math” emphasizes on writing as a driving tool in mathematics lessons.
- The writer states that writing during mathematics lessons enables students to plan and organize their work in a neat manner. It also enhances concentration during class activities
- Incorporating writing in math instructions broadens insights into the topic and the students are able to reflect on what they are lighting.
- I agree with the writer about engaging students in writing since it enhances their concentration on the main points in a mathematic instruction.
- Creating a sequence of instructions which interrelate and requires a student to write each instruction is paramount in enabling students to chronologically recall correlating tasks. This enables neatness in students work.
This article “ Writing First!!” emphasizes on writing as a precedence to reading .This is contrary to the norm where writing is an expression of what one has understood from a read text.
- Nothing can be read unless it’s written. A reader will concentrate on reading and understanding what has been written. This is viewed as an effective approach to enhance learning.
- I tend to disagree with the notion that writing precedes reading .A student will feel more motivated when he/she learns to pronounce a word and later practicing it .For instance, a student will be motivated when told to write his /her name which he knows how to read it.
- Reading enhances understanding and broadens one’s mind about an idea .therefore the more reading occurs the broad will be our expressions through writing. Therefore in terms of intermediate learning by students, reading should precede writing.
- Is writing an effective way of enhancing reading for both struggling and bright students?
- How should the rapid Technology be handled to effectively enhance learning and protect the extinction of indigenous methods of reading and writing?