<Name and Section # of course>
Social networking websites have hooked up every age group and have to offer something of interest to each person including children. However, as with everything else, social networking websites have their drawbacks in comparison to their benefits.
The major benefits that children achieve from social networking sites are that
- They get socially active. They help a child develop his personality and communication skills.
- Internet and social networking sites are the fastest medium for gaining information. Children have instant access to all the latest news and happening in the world. They are connected globally.
- The children can share their personal content of self-expressions like videos, music and art.
- The children stay in touch with their current friends and make new friends based on mutual interests and hobbies.
With the many benefits that these social networking sites, there are a few drawbacks that parents need to keep in mind before opening a personal account for their children. A few drawbacks of social networking for children are that:
- Social networking websites offer endless interests and hobbies that are not always age appropriate for children. There are many advertisements as well that may not be suitable for child viewing.
- Children are often cyberbullied through these social networking sites.
- As children may not be mature enough, they might share too much personal information with a stranger or share personal photos and videos that the child may later regret.
- There are countless fun activities on these sites, which makes children addictive and reduces their interest in outdoor physical activities.
Parents need to make informed decisions when it comes to their children. The internet is a very helpful and informational technology but a few wrong clicks might take your child to some very inappropriate content. It is always important to keep a check on the child’s online activity and persuade him to share his online activity with a parent.