• Choose a workplace with no with no carpet on the floor, carpets generate a lot of static charges and are supposed to be avoided.• Once you install the power supply clip the wrist strap ending to the power supply. This is done to prevent electrostatic discharge by ensuring that those who comes in contact with the electric wires are not electrocuted.
• Never plug your computer in power when you are connected to it by the wrist strap. Care needs to be taken because you can easily get electrocuted. In simple terms, people are often advised to stay away from any naked electric material especially naked electric wires.
• Handle the components by the edges. It is advisable to handle all the components with edges since most of them are not covered and in case they lack anti-static wrist strap they can be dangerous and can expose you electric shocks.
• Be cautious of the sharp edges since they can cut your hands. Assembling Instructions (Steps to be followed) Before assembling, make sure that all components are available. The necessary components are the motherboard and its casing, CPU, power supply, Disk drives, memory slots, the necessary connectors, adaptors as well as video cards.
It is preferred that you select an aluminum case. Aluminum case dissipates heat and it holds both the CPU and the motherboard. They come with fan and power supply. It is good to look for a case with either a single 120mm fan or dual 80mm fans. If it does not have a power supply, it is recommended that you get one.
Step two: Fixing the motherboard.The motherboard acts as the primary component of a desktop computer. It is the hub, which is used to connect to all of the computer parts. All other parts of the computer receive data from this part and transmit it accordingly.
a. Screw the motherboard into the casing.
Note that small risers come with the motherboard and are used to allow a space between the motherboard and the case. These risers are plastic made of plastic and "clip" into either case or metal supports that have been screwed into place.
b. Connect the motherboard to the power supply.
One can easily find a 12or 24pin plug–in connector, which usually originates from the power supply. Then plug connector is into the matching socket connector on them other board. In addition, one can easily find the socket on the motherboard. Step two: Installing the CPUPerhaps, installing the CPU is the most difficult steps. However, the CPU is the most expensive part of a PC. So, one is required to be extra careful with this step.
- When joining you are supposed to read the CPU documentation for more detail on how to handle this component.
There are two known types of CPUs, which are socket and slot types. The next steps below are supposed to be followed for the two types.
When installing a CPU of socket type;
- Make sure that the small lever on the socket side is raised, and then gently insert the processor.
- Check whether the alignment making on one corner of processor lines up with the corresponding marking on the socket.
Slot Type.It is easier to install a slot type CPU than installing a socket type. To install this;
- Make sure the single edge contact cartridge coming with the CPU is installing and then insert into the slot.
Step three: Connecting the CPU CoolerIf one is installing a socket CPU, he or she has to install the CPU cooler above the CPU. CPU cooler usually comes together with the CPU itself.
- Click one of the cooler clips onto the nub.
- Gently click the second one into place.
- Center the cooler correctly to ensure entire contact with the surface of the processor.
Step four: Fixing the RAM.One needs to install RAM (Random Access Memory) for a PC to function properly. There are various types of RAM. The recently produced motherboards are equipped with DDR2 memory. You need to find out, which RAM is compatible with the motherboard.Steps
- You just need to pull to the clips situated at each end of the slot to open them.
- Next, set the memory module straight down into the slot.
- Make sure that the memory is in the right place by gently pressing down.
- Close the clips at each end.
Step six: Fixing an optical disk drive
In case one needs to use CD/DVDs, this is where they go. Depending on your wishes, you have to choose one that serves well.
Steps for installing Optical Disk Drive
- Disconnect all the external power cables from the PC then move it to a place with a clear light.
- Remove side panels as well as the top one, depending on the case design of your Pc. With some cases, you can also be required to remove the face bezel to increase your drive bays access.
- In case you want to replace an existing optical drive, you are supposed to disconnect the data cable as well as the power cable from it then remove the drive from the bay.
- If you want to install a second optical drive without getting rid of the existing optical drive, then you are supposed to remove the drive bay bezel first from a position where you plan to install the new drive.
Step seven: Installing OS (Operating System)
When budgeting, consider installing Windows 7 Home Basic or even Windows 7 Home Premium, both satisfy most users. Others like Ubuntu are free, which is a version of Linux; however, it requires some practical knowledge (Price pp 23).
Step eight: Fixing the Power supply.If power supply comes with a case, one has to check its switch to select 115V or 200V. If not, the power supply can be fixed to its place by use of a screw driver. If the power supply is already installed, you have to plug the main power cable into the motherboard. There may also be an additional eight-pin power cable leading to the motherboard. If present, it is usually located near the CPU socket. Step nine: Fixing the Video cardThe Video cardis also called VGA Card or Graphic card. There are two types of video cards. These are AGP and PCI Express as illustrated below. So, ensure that the motherboard is equipped with the correct the video card. A video card is plugged into expansion slots. Step ten: Screwing the video card
Ensure you have screwed it into place. One need not to worry when inserting cards into the wrong slot since this is not possible because each type has its own slot size. So, you cannot insert a video card into the wrong slot. To insert an expansion card, you have to remove the corresponding blank on the case of the PC. Then, slide the rear part of the card gently into the slot, by pushing in the front end.
Step eleven: Fixing the Hard driveThis is the last step of assembling a personal computer.To install a hard drive, one should know the IDE (Integrated Device Electronics) connector because hard drive is connected with IDE cable. Make sure that the hard drive is set up to link with the master drive on its IDE cable.
Step twelve: Plug in power supply
After connecting IDE cable, you have to plug power supply cable into the hard drive slot which also has its own size and shape. ConclusionOnce the above steps and sub-steps are followed, one will have achieved his or her goal of owning a computer at a very low cost. Worth noting is that before the procedures are started, a person should familiarize himself or herself with the functions of all components of a computer.
Price, Michael. Computer Basics-Windows 7.In Easy Steps, 2011.
Shepard, Richard B."Cardiology office computer use: primer, pointers, pitfalls." Journal of the American College of Cardiology 8.4 (1986): 933-940.