The demand for electricity in Auckland and Northland has increased over the past years. The current transmission system is unable to endure interruptions and this negatively affects transmission and supply of electricity. Trans-power should implement the cheapest solutions including re-conducting transmission lines, real time monitoring of transmission lines and upgrading equipment.
Development and population growth in Auckland and Northland has increased demand for electricity. The increased demand for electricity power has led to system overloads and contributed to blackouts. Otahuhu sub-station supplies power to Auckland and Northland. This paper discusses alternatives to erection of more transmission lines.
Electricity transmission in Auckland
Almost 70% of Auckland and Northland region electricity demand is supplied by generation situated south of Bombay. Transmission is important to maintain the flow of electric power in Auckland and the Northland area. Auckland transmission network comprises of 3 layers. That is the 220 kV network, the 110kV distribution system and 110kV network.
Alternatives to construction of extra transmission lines in Auckland and Northland region
- Allowing higher line operating temperatures improves transmission of eldetricity.
- Real time monitoring of transmission line is important as it ensures electric power is supplied without interruption
- Upgrading substation equipment will increase the supply of electric power in Auckland and Northland
- current line conductors should be replaced with bigger conductors to prevent underrated power lines and increase the transfer limit of the lines
- Install phase shifting transformers will increase transfer limits and power supply by eliminating loop flows
- The direction and magnitude of power flow can be controlled by changing the phase shift across different transformers.
- install capacitors increases reactive power and improves transmission of power
- statistic VAR compensators consist of capacitors and inductors with quick switching timeframe ability
- Voltages should be properly controlled by providing predicting and modifying reactive power demand from loads.
- Trans-power can use high temperature superconducting technologies to enhance power supply by preventing interruptions.
- Trans-power should implement the alternatives identified above in order to increase supply of power and meet power demands.
- Trans-power can install capacitors, allow high conducting temperatures and re-conduct existing lines.
- Real-time monitoring of transmission lines can help improve transmission of electric power as weather conditions are monitored.
- Upgrading of outdated and old equipment at the substation will enhance supply and transmission of power.
The project aim was attained as alternatives to installing extra transmission lines were identified. In addition, re-conducting of current lines will improve power supply. Other alternatives include using shift transformers, installing capacitors, high temperature super conducting technologies, and permitting higher line operating temperatures, but they are costly.