Voicing your opinion doesn't seem so hard. After all, we all have equally strong feelings about things that matter and things that aren't all that important. I bet you had many heated arguments with your roommates about which pizza parlor was the best in your area. However, writing an opinion essay for college is quite a different kettle of fish and can be a challenging genre for students.
First of all, you have to tread the fine line between argumentative and persuasive writing. To do that, you might want to check out our guide on how to write an opinion essay.
Then, there is the question of a suitable issue to take a stand on. It must be meaningful, relevant, and divisive. We can help you with that as well! Below you will find 120 great ideas for opinion essays to nudge your inspiration.
Opinion Writing Topics for Essays about Education
Education and things related to it supply the most relevant topics for opinion writing among college students. After all, it directly concerns your life and issues that are shaping your experiences daily. Here just some matters you can explore. Note that each topic is linked to the relevant sample from our free database, so you could read what others have to say on education's pressing matters.
- What is your opinion on studying abroad?
- Your opinion on the current student selection system for college admission
- How would you assess modern early childhood education?
- What are the biggest challenges of special education?
- Do you support school uniforms?
- What is your opinion on the General Education trend?
- What is your personal experience with education? Do you think it's typical?
- How personal identity and global citizenship can be integrated through education?
- Should standardized tests in K12 be more accommodating to students with disabilities?
- Do you think Native American education today is problematic? Why?
- Do you think current college tuition costs are fair?
- Is college admission too competitive?
Political Science and Law Opinion Essays Topics
Probably the most prolific source of controversies and hot-button issues is politics. All the more reasons to become an eloquent debater, wouldn't you agree? Practice on these topics and reign over the discussion on campus!
- In your opinion, should government control the Internet?
- Do you believe incarceration or intermediate sanctions to be more effective?
- Do you think the sex offenders' registry is effective?
- Should voting be compulsory?
- Do you think marijuana should be legalized in all 50 states?
- Do you believe that freedom of speech must not be limited in any way?
- What do you think about the USA's military involvement in global politics?
- Should same-sex marriage be legal in your state?
- What are your views on gun control?
- Why is cybersecurity a crucial component of state security today?
- Should your state raise the minimum driving age?
- How patriotic is the Patriotic Act?
Pick These Opinion Topics to Write About Social Media
Social media is a relatively recent but potent phenomenon that changed individual lives and society at large beyond recognition in merely a couple of decades. Care to explore challenges and controversies associated with it? Welcome to the following topics.
- In your opinion, is there a link between social networking and narcissism?
- Are social media dangerous? How and why?
- Is identity theft on social media a crime? Why?
- Should children be allowed on social media?
- What is the true meaning of social media, in your opinion?
- Did Facebook had a positive or negative effect on human interactions?
- Do you think Facebook changed romantic relationships? How?
- The ethics of facial recognition technology in social media
- Do you think social media could be more ethical with their terms of service?
- Are parents clueless about the child predators on the Internet?
- Do you think that social media have created big social changes in the USA?
- Do you think the use of social media for politics is appropriate?
Find Your Perfect Sports Opinion Topic Among These Suggestions
People tend to have strong opinions on athletic tournaments, their favorite teams, doping scandals, and other controversial issues surrounding competitive sports. No wonder it's a great source of topics for opinion essays! Take a look at these:
- Drag racing: fascinating or dangerous?
- Should college athletes be paid?
- Why do you think college football is so popular?
- Is hazing in sports teams an important ritual or just bullying?
- Which is more dangerous: football or cheerleading?
- Do you think gender equality exists in tennis?
- What is your position on the athletic use of drugs and stimulants?
- The issue of and domestic violence among NFL Players
- The controversy of baseball payoffs
- How does FIBA challenge the NBA?
- Is there any particular sports team you find remarkable? Why?
- Why do you think football is more popular in the USA than soccer?
Great Opinion Topics for Essays About Environment
Human impact on the environment is the topic that first became the focus of public discussion several decades ago, but it remains very divisive to this day. Some people devote their lives to fighting the adverse effects of global warming. In contrast, others refuse to acknowledge climate change at all. Which side are you on?
- Should recycling be mandatory?
- What solution to climate change seems most viable to you?
- Are the benefits of globalization worth the toll it takes on the environment?
- Are exotic species passengers or drivers of the ecological change?
- The effects of medium frequency sonar on right whales
- Assess the work done by one of the national parks of wildlife reserves in your area
- Do you think coral reef decay is a natural or anthropogenic environmental issue?
- Should we battle global warming?
- What is the most effective way to prevent water pollution?
- What is the most significant environmental problem in your area?
- The role of wind energy in environmental conservation
- Are environmental and health risks associated with fracking worth the economic benefits? Why or why not?
Topics for Opinion Essay on Nursing and Healthcare
Healthcare becomes the center of public discussion quite often, but people rarely agree on it. Too bad. Maybe we all need a fresh perspective. Try exploring these topics from opposing points of view as an exercise!
- What are your views on Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act?
- Should people with terminal illnesses have the right to assisted suicides?
- Why is psychology vital in sports injury rehabilitation?
- Do you think that access to health care is sufficient in your state?
- Should abortion be healthcare right?
- Should vaccination be mandatory?
- What could improve the stroke rehabilitation process?
- What is your opinion on the use of robotics in Health Care?
- Why is patient confidentiality important?
- Should stem cell technology be applied?
- What pressure ulcer healing technique you believe to be effective?
- Review a rehabilitation facility in your area. What can be done to make it more effective?
Psychology and Mental Health Opinion Papers Topics
Mental health issues are still perceived by many as stigmatizing. Maybe because we don't talk about them enough? Try these opinion paper topics to start a conversation and tip the balance.
- Do you think behavioral programs are effective for crime prevention?
- Are individuals with high EQ better leaders? Why?
- How can we better help patients with PTSD?
- Should pedophilia be treated as a mental disorder?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- What do you consider your calling?
- What is the key component in treating patients with anorexia nervosa?
- How does physical abuse influence human development?
- Are operant conditioning and classical conditioning principles applicable in everyday life?
- Is there a link between phobias and addiction?
- Why should doctors be mindful about prescription drugs for managing mental disorders?
- How can psychological intervention help prevent domestic violence?
Good Opinion Topics on Society and Culture
Modern culture is so diverse and multifaceted that it naturally becomes a breeding ground for opinionated essay topics, as interests and beliefs collide, interact, and blend. Can you give a definite answer to the questions posed below? We seriously doubt that. Yet we are happy to hear your opinion!
- What is your opinion on gender representation in media?
- Is affirmative action morally permissible?
- Can Christians disagree on moral issues?
- What are your views on full-time parenting?
- Why people spend too much money, in your opinion?
- Why is peer pressure so powerful?
- Why is abusive leadership harmful?
- What is your opinion on consumerism?
- Is DIY just another fad or a positive movement?
- What do you think about raising the numbers of teenage plastic surgeries?
- In what ways are technology, industry, and culture of games linked?
- Do you think the 1939 film adaptation of 'Gone with the Wind' is problematic? Why or why not?
Opinion Essay Ideas About English and World Literature
Literature may seem an easy subject to write opinion papers about. However, it's a bit more complicated than just telling whether or not you liked a particular book. Such a task requires analytical skills, an in-depth understanding of the text, and familiarity with cultural and historical context. Did I mention research? Well, there will be a lot of it! Do you think you can write an essay on some of these topics?
- How historically accurate is Harper's Lee "To Kill a Mocking Bird"?
- Is the point of view important in Edgar Allan Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart"?
- Quest for identity in "Alice's Adventure in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass."
- How is the adult world represented in the coming of age literature?
- What have you learned about the past from Anne Moody's "Coming of Age in Mississippi"?
- What do you find interesting about F. S. Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby"?
- Do you think Orwell's allegory is still relevant today?
- Why do you think "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" was impactful?
- What can George Bernard Shaw's "Pygmalion" teach us today?
- Who do you think is the least sympathetic character in Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man Is Hard to Find"?
- Are women's portrayal in "Beowulf" different from other heroic narratives?
- Are Nathaniel Hawthorne's works relevant in the 21st century? Why or why not?
Opinion Essay Topics on History
Do you agree with the famous statement, "Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" by Winston Churchill? Your answer to this question would already make an excellent opinion essay! Need something different? Try these.
- Did Columbus discover America?
- Is the story of the Aztec Conquest rooted in myth or facts?
- Does the Thanksgiving celebration do justice to its historical origins? Why or why not?
- How has the Declaration of Independence influenced the current governmental system of the USA?
- Do you agree with the 'Second Revolution' name sometimes given to the Civil War?
- Do you think Native American boarding schools were a positive or a negative influence?
- What was the overall impact of the Spanish-American War and World War I on the US?
- Was Roosevelt's New Deal policy effective? Why?
- Did World War II significantly change the US?
- Was Lyndon B. Johnson's the Great Society a success or failure?
- What were the key factors in Morocco's independence?
- Israeli War of Independence in the history of Arab-Israeli conflict
Still puzzled? Browse around our free database for more relevant samples. You can use search by keywords to find more essays about the issue you are interested in. Alternatively, you can order a personalized sample from our essay writing service. We can personalize it to express any perspective you want us to support on any topic under the sun!