Paths to Identity Achievement
• How did Erikson define identity achievement? What combination of exploration and commitment scores are seen?
Identify achievement is identity status which an individual has struggled with and may have settled the questions of purpose and identity and has developed a future direction. Identity achievement has high commitment and high exploitation scores.
• What is diffusion? What combination of exploration and commitment scores are seen?
Diffusion has been defined as the identity status to which an individual is apathetic to some level and shows no interested in questions related to identity, and is unwilling to commit to certain beliefs and values. Diffusion has low commitment and low exploitation scores.
• What is foreclosure? What combination of exploration and commitment scores are seen?
Foreclosure is identity status where a person adopts a readymade identity which is taken from others, usually the family members, without considering other alternatives seriously. Foreclosure has low exploration and high commitment.
• What is moratorium? What combination of exploration and commitment scores are seen?
Moratorium is identity status where a person tries different experiments and roles with diverse lifestyles, without making any commitment to any alternatives. Moratorium has low commitment and high exploration.
Marcia’s Identity Status Model
• After considering your identity status classification based on the initial questionnaire, do you believe that your classification was accurate?
The exploration score was 60, which is a low degree of exploration and the commitment score was 62, which is a high degree of commitment. Yes, I believe that the score points a correct picture of my identity status as many of my beliefs are built due to family values and there is a lack of exploration.
• Which of Marcia’s four statuses best fits you right now?
Marcia suggests four status, identity achievement, foreclosure, diffusion and moratorium. Foreclosure is the closest fit as I lack prior exploration and most of beliefs are based on the teaching and the experiences of my parents and other important and influential figures.
• Why you would not classify yourself as being in the other three statuses?
In my case, commitment score is very high and it disqualifies moratorium and diffusion as they need a low commitment score. The only two other options are foreclosure and identity achievement, which have high commitment. But, in my case my exploration score is high which disqualifies identity achievement.
Ludwig., T.E. Forming an Identity. Psych Sim. Worth Publishers. worthpublishers.com. n.d. Web. 3 February 2016.