Part 1: Introduction
The topic of research is "Impact of the digital divide in the present times". In order to research for this topic, the two sets of people who are to be surveyed include those who are tech savvy and those who do not have access to the internet. The reason why the company wants to research this topic is to understand the feasibility of their ecommerce business.
The digital divide is the main issue faced by the groups of people who do not have an easy access to the digital technologies including the internet. Online commerce helps form a platform for exchange through internet.
The information sought is on how the digital divide is impacting the present generations. It has become an integral part of the present day target segments and has helped people gain out of facilities including online education, filling of forms and online businesses. But as a large portion of the global population, especially in the developing countries does not have easy access to the internet, it results in loss of an important competency for them. So it is important to research these elements.
Understand the decision-making environment:
The decision making environment would depend on the extent to which digital divide exists and whether it makes an online business feasible or not. The digital divide is the main issue faced by the groups of people who do not have an easy access to the digital technologies including the internet and they definitely do require a substitute or provision that can help them. Moreover installation of kiosks with people to help can also reduce the dissonance that is caused by the digital divide. If they have a physical space where in the same facilities are available it would be easier for them to be integrated to the society.
Use the symptoms to help clarify the problem:
The symptoms include that if more than 75% of the people are tech savvy and the remaining 25% are not, then they are to be tapped through the medium of a physical store. So it becomes extremely important to understand the extent of digital divide and study the impact it has on people.
Translate the management problem into a marketing research problem:
The market research problem is to find the sustainability of the target segments for an online business. Moreover as several of the developed states are having almost 100% access to the internet, it results in appropriate development of those who have access to internet but leaves out those who do not have access to the internet. The business implications of this has to be found.
Determine whether the information already exists:
Some amount of the information does exist. But updated information is extremely essential as it would help the firm take a strategic decision if it should start an online firm in this time of heavy competition on the web or not.
Determine whether the question really can be answered:
Yes, there can be details found on this and it can be statistically classified as well as further treated and analyzed.
The objective of this research is to understand the impact of the digital divide on the people and to understand the feasibility of an online business in present times.
Burgess, S., Sellitto, C. & Karanasios, S. (2009). Effective Web Presence Solutions for Small Businesses: Strategies and Successful Implementation: IGI Global.
Eisingerich, A. B. & Kretschmer, T. (2008). "In E-Commerce, More is More". Harvard Business Review, 86 (March): 20–21.