- What are the architect’s responsibilities/liabilities for these events?
The architect responsibility is to design and placement of columns in the building of the houses as the paper suggest.
- Should Citicorp have accepted the $250,000 credit to substitute welds for bolts
Yes, because there was need to use bolt instead of welds. The use of weld was a bit expensive compared to bolt, and therefore, it was cheaper. And engineer Les messurier was the one who came up with that idea.
- Who is responsible for shop drawings review/approval? How important is this function
Shop drawing review was Le messurier responsibilities because they are the one who were dealing with the drawing plan of the column building and the house at large, and it was important because it as the real foundation of the building project and if it is wrongly done then the building might collapse and kills people.
- Had the student not questioned the structural calculations, would the building have collapsed?
Yes, because later on after the student’s inquiry Le messurier gave the issue serious thought and chose to further investigate the incidents and came up with the solution of strengthening the building.
- Why did Le Messurier aggressively pursue fixing this problem?
Because of the effects the quartering winds might have caused great damages, which in another word, he called as “very peculiar behaviors”.
- What are the engineers (Le Messurier) responsibilities/liabilities fir the project?
The Bethlehem steel engineers were responsible for fixing the project.
- Why do you think that everyone was so cooperative (City, Red Cross, Citicorp, Contractor) with getting this matter resolved
Because the city, Red Cross, city corp., contractors did not want any death case to occur in that area, it was estimated that 200,000 people could die if the structure collapsed and so it was their responsibilities to try and stop such bad incident to occur to the innocent people.
- Should the general public have been advised of the pending danger/repair?
Yes, for early evacuation and readiness to face danger.
- What are your thoughts on Le Messurier leaving this event out of his 1995 personal memoir?
Fort motivation to upcoming engineers.
- Discuss the importance of constantly questioning decisions?
Questioning decisions is important because it gives clear view of what you are thinking and reasons why that decision is made.
- What are your thoughts on Le Messurier’s comments to the M.I.T. audience.”there are a lot of them out there”?
Very rude, and arrogant in some extent, because he has not given the required answer by needed by the audience.