1. Hundreds of Americans die every day because of drug abuse and overdose. Deaths due to alcohol abuse are even more. The above two abuses have overtaken the causalities caused by illegal drugs. The latest victim of drug abuse was actor Philip Seymour Hoffman who died of drug overdose. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), people misuse prescription drugs when they cannot get cocaine or other banned drugs. Drinking bottles of cough syrups and having painkillers is common to get high or intoxicated. Some doctors find a way out for their patients by over prescribing painkillers like Vicodin which otherwise are impossible to get. At times patients get addicted to painkillers and continue having them just to feel good mentally. The data provided by researchers prove the fact that millions of Americans are misusing drugs as drug abuse has risen by 10%. The number of deaths due to drug overdose is much greater in comparison to deaths caused by heroin. Online drug purchases are easier, quick and do not need a prescription. Fake clinics and doctors’ add to the sale of prescription drugs.
2. The grim situation demands immediate and effective action by the government. The health of millions is threatened by the easy medicines. Homeless and depressed individuals are easy targets of the slow poison medicines.
3. Under the influence of these drugs people easily commit horrendous crimes, 60% of criminals in federal jail are addicted to them.
4. Pregnant ladies addicted to cocaine produce kids who need special education as the chances of their babies have disorders is increase by 1.5 times; increasing the burden of education for the government.
5. Companies suffer low employee productivity if they have drug addicted employees as these workers take at least two leaves in a month.
6. This problem can be controlled by educating parents and children about the deadly effects of overdose of the prescription drugs. Advertisements and street plays can help in spreading the message.
7. Proper implementation of drug monitoring program’s can help doctors in overprescribing medicines. The data of patients using drugs for medical purposes should be centralized and sent to all pharmacists to avoid loopholes.
8. Prompt and supervised disposal of expired drugs reduces the chances of medicines being misused.
9.The government should take strict action to stop the sale of medicines online without proper verification of the doctor and buyer. By closing the so called “pill mills” the government can save many people from getting caught in this vicious circle of drug abuse. It’s not just the American economy but countries world over are trying hard to stop this menace.