Question 1: Identify and explain the placebo effect’s function in each step of the scientific method: observation, hypothesis, experimentation, verification.
- Placebo effect can be defined as any effect that cannot be attributed to an actual pharmaceutical drug. It is a psychobiological condition occurring in the patient’s brain upon the administration of an inert substance, coupled with verbal suggestions of clinical importance. The therapeutic importance of the placebo effect is universally recommended and accounting for it has become a standard in clinical drug trials. This is done to discern pharmaceutical effects from the placebo effects and placebo effects from other possible contrasting factors.
Question 2: Describe how the placebo effect impacted the results of the study.
- This condition is so rampant in Parkinson’s trials because of dopamine. Dopamine underlies the placebo effect. This is as a result of a person’s expectations. According to researchers, the symptoms of the participant will be expected to improve leading to placebo effect. In order to analyze the placebo effect, one has to do away with the changes due to the history of the disorder and regression toward the average.
Question 3: Identify the values of my audience
- the audience values time,
- information and
- credibility of information sources.
Question 4: What my audience actually needs
- they need accountability,
- a chance to have some input,
- abundance of information, and
Question 6: Identify an appeal that you can make to your audience and explain why this might be an effective form of persuasion
- During my days in college, I was mandated with the task of campaigning for my best friend and a former treasurer to our student organization currently vying for the chairmanship portfolio. Being an astute student of my caliber, I took to the podium and delivered a three pointer speech of why we should all elect Mr. Johnson as our representative in the senate.
Question 7: Identify a type of fallacy that you need to be aware of and should strive to avoid in your persuasive argument.
- I started off by clearing the fallacies that were doing rounds in college about Johnson being a spendthrift. I called upon the incumbent treasurer to take us through the books of account pointing out how every penny was utilized. My speech was characterized by loud applause, chants and cheers.
Question 8: Explain how you will follow the five steps of persuasion in your Critical Thinking paper
- All that I have discussed above has an effect of settling scores in regard to credibility, acknowledgement of the audience’s position, constructing rationale and transplanting root elements.
- After going through the financial records of the organization, the audience realized that the embezzlement claims that were being leveled against my friend were unfounded.