1. Competitive business environment comprises of dynamic set of relationships among cultures, financial markets, technologies, government policies and many more. This business environment is driven by the hyper-competition faced by companies across the globe.
2. Globalization means an increasingly inter-connected and interconnected which is propelled by the innovation and technological emergence in markets. There are other forces also which fuel the globalizations, namely, opening of closed economies, emerging market economies, prominence of China and India in global economy, continuing free trade and trade agreements, and growth of multinational enterprises.
3. a) The competencies I possess already are the knowledge of foreign language and sensitivity to other cultures.
b) The competencies crucial to be acquired are the ability to cope with ambiguity and manage ethical dilemmas.
4. While negotiating, I believe the ethical principles to be adjusted with would be to perceive the power and exploit it.
5. The tendency to consider own culture superior to other cultures, acting from own cultural preferences without consideration of other cultures and without respecting other cultures.
6. Gift is voluntarily given by the supplier against bribe, which is demanded from the supplier and is transparent and the receiver doesn’t have to keep it a secret. Offer of bribe is to be refused politely and firmly.
7. Globalization to a certain extent, results in cultural and economic homogenization however it is not based only on consumerism. It has several positive aspects such as understanding of other cultures, improvement in economy of poor countries and fair competition to every company and abolishment of monopoly situations. Hence, viewing globalization in the light of consumerism only would not be appropriate.
8. International integration results in the alteration in the values at local and global level. Internet, for example provides exposure to the closed cultures of the relatively open cultures and with the knowledge of less restrictive values, children specially imbibe the altered values, thereby making it acceptable at social level.
9. Globalization promotes competition however; it doesn’t encourage the socially and environmentally harmful export-oriented systems. To avoid the extremities of business, host countries and MNC’s should and usually adopts proper measures. The consumer’s interest is further increased with the globalization due to availability of several options and increased knowledge.
10. Honeywell and General Motors have integrity and conformation to the company’s regulations as their code of ethics. Both the companies promote the adherence to these ethics even if competitive advantage position of the company is compromised. Employees of Honeywell consider integrity as the core value serving as the framework for their decisions across the globe.
11. Globalization offers several benefits however, they are coupled with the dark side of globalization inadvertently causing negative impacts like human and drug trafficking, terrorism flow, money laundering and crime, and global epidemic. Another dark side is the decreasing cultural values due to the impact of westernized cultures. This can be minimized by responsible handling of the trans-cultures by the MNC’s and governments.
12. Social networking websites promote the culture of sharing and other cultural values. The potential of these sites to promote a social cause or shared value is immense and the language of the site, though limits the spread of sharing initiative can’t be a major barrier.
13. Social entrepreneur have the capability to bring the social changes and coupled with the immense power of internet and social networking sites, the initiative taken to rectify a social problem with a positive approach and feasible solution generates a wave which gets spread across nations, making the implementation and adoption of solution possible. Yes, I would like to be a social entrepreneur.
14. MNE’s provides several benefits to its host countries and sometimes is directly responsible for improving and supporting the economy of state or nation. MNE’s operating in host country usually face several moral issues like dictating the operations of company or company to necessarily have local person in management positions and others. Host countries also have moral issues with MNE’s which includes the destabilizing the national sovereignty, brain drain and capital outflow to inflow imbalance. The host countries situations demands more attention as they are sometimes kept uninformed or are excluded by the MNE’s while MNE’s keep on depleting the resources of poor countries.
15. Decisive, determined, outspoken, professional, industrious and inventive, these values can also be seen as straightforward approach, attacking, rude, and too professional.
16. Professional behavior and direct approach can lead to problems during the negotiations with Asian cultures which consider direct approach as attacking and prefers interpersonal communication and amicability over professional behavior. This leads to misunderstanding and may make me appear as dominating and rude.