Smallwood: BA 3100 Professional Development
5 Year Statement: I want to lead a good-balanced life by this point of time. I want to work in a big multinational company at a managerial position. I want to be a management consultant and would love to work for the betterment of this world. I would prefer to work in an oil and gas company as an oil and gas consultant. To accomplish this, I need to do the following:
- I must have an open mind, I should he ready to accept my mistakes and learn from them, because experience comes only through this.
- I should realise the value of good friends and companions and must pick up their good habits and ignore the bad ones.
- I should be aware of the recent world-wide trends and events. I should start reading more books and learn more about the current world affairs. This would broaden my perspective towards things.
- I should try and write blogs on topics in which I have interest, this way, I can develop my writing skills and my view can be read by people all across the world.
- I must try to do a post graduate course that will increase my chances of getting a lucrative job and join a multinational company.
- I must try to develop my interpersonal skills and participate in quiz events, workshops and seminars.
- I should be focused in achieving specific goals.
- The most important thing that I must do is remain grounded to reality. I should not get carried away by temptations and should remain focused to my goals. I should be faithful in maintaining relationships as they go a long way and must sharpen my networking skills.
20 Year Statement: I see myself as an expert in a particular domain, say Oil and Gas. I should be well settled in my personal and professional life by then. I would be married with kids by then and people would recognise me for my work and contribution to a specific field. To get this vision realised, I need to do the following:
- After getting a desired job, I would give my best to it. I must work hard with full dedication, most importantly, I should enjoy my work.
- On the personal front, I must find a right partner who can understand and compliment me. I will marry that person and would want to start a family with her.
- I should try to contribute something to society through my work. If I become an Oil and Gas consultant, I would want to change the world by writing expert articles on critical topics like oil spillage, oil prices and its fluctuations.
- I would want to write a book on these subjects, it would be one stop reference guide to knowing everything about that subject in a nutshell. This would give a credibility which I would deserve.
- Once this happens, I want to be on the expert panel of different associations and environmental groups that have a big impact in the industry.
- I must work hard and earn enough money to get all the basic luxuries of life. Also, I want to donate to charity and help the needy.
- I must try and pass on the same values to my kids that my parents gave me. I will teach him that becoming a good person is more important than being rich.
- At workplace, I will support by team and promote hard work. I will push more transparency and merit in my department and try to build a winning team.
- Finally, I would want me and my family to be happy and healthy, so I will avoid taking any steps that might make me regret for the rest of my life!