Informative Speech on Capital Punishment in the US
Capital punishment or death sentence is the highest punishment in the world, some say it’s wrong to end a life but according to some criminals who play with other’s life should be dealt with appropriately.
United States of America is one of the four democratic industrialized countries that still practices Capital Punishment. In United States, it is a legal sentence in 32 states but before deceleration of independence, it was enforced in all colonies. There are currently 18 states where Capital Punishment is not practiced.
There were many methods of Capital Punishment used but nowadays Lethal Injection is a standard procedure for implementing the capital punishment. Hanging was last used back in 1996, Capital Punishment via lethal gas was last executed in 1999; death sentence implemented using Firing Squad was in 2010 and Electric Chair was used in 2013 for Capital Punishment.
Capital Punishment is a big debate with several cons and pros. Many organizations are trying to free wrongly convicted prisoners in death row while others want people to learn for what they did.
Against Capital Punishment
“Justice Certitude stated that we’ve never put to death an innocent person but I disagree very much with it, and it’s the main reason I am opposed to Death Penalty. The justice system is made up by men and women and no matter how dedicated they are, they can make mistakes. We have many examples of such mistakes in our history."
People against Capital Punishment are of view that it’s cruel to put another person to death, most of the times innocent people are caught or used to kill people. Value of human life is still greater than any crime occurred, and justice is better served if criminal is given life without parole.
- Capital Punishment serves nowadays as vengeance rather than retribution
- Risk of executing innocents
- Appeal process in Capital Punishment is sure whereas punishment of life without parole has no appeal process
- Value of human life is greater than crimes and God loves us all, and everyone deserves a second chance
- It doesn’t dissuade people. Murderers still kill people even if they know they are going to get hanged.
- Life in prison is hell on earth, it serves better if criminal dies every day.
In Favor of Capital Punishment
Death penalty is somewhat a reminder of Karma for criminal minded people. It reminds them of what can happen to them if they won’t stop their criminal activities. If you know you are going to die tomorrow, you defiantly will try to be a better man today, it keeps balance in the crime rates.
People in favor of Capital Punishment are of view that if someone takes a human life, he destroys a whole family. They believe the family should be given justice and people should know that the justice system is there to provide them justice of same scale as of crime. Further points are:
- Knowing you will be put to death after committing a crime, you won’t be committing it.
- You can’t guarantee what a Psychopath killer would do to prison inmates.
- Capital Punishment serves as Closure for victims, the ones who have lost their loved ones should get justice.
- In retaliation, if you kill a person, you should be killed. Many runaway criminals or death row convicts are criminal minded and will not mind killing another person, so society should get rid of such wild animals.
- DNA testing and modern day technology confirms if person is innocent or just trying to be one.
Eric, Attorney General. An Interview for the Martial Project Bill Keller and Tim Golden. 17 November 2014.
Pojman, Louis P. The Death Penalty: For and Against. Chicago: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2000.
Schindler, Hal. Forms of Execution in the United States, 1977 - 2009. 29 August 2011. 24 November 2014 <http://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=001623>.