- An healthy body system all depend on an healthy cardiovascular system
- Since cardiovascular system is made up of heart and blood vessels
- All body organs depend on it healthy functions
- Supply of nutrients and oxygen effectively & removal of waste products from other parts of the body are the main functions of the cardiovascular system
- Malfunctioning cardiovascular system will impair proper function of other major systems.
The anatomy & physiology of the cardiovascular system
- Made up of heart with four chambers & blood vessels (arteries, capillaries and veins)
- The four chambers are two upper chambers called atria & two lower chambers called ventricles
- Right chamber made up of upper atria and lower ventricle accept blood from the body
- The right chamber only send blood to the lungs for oxygenation
- Left chambers pump blood to the other parts of body after receiving oxygenated blood from the lungs
How pregnancy and ageing can have impact on the cardiovascular system
- Ageing accelerate cardiovascular diseases
- Reduce the pumping efficiency of blood
- Hence could lead to problem with adequate oxygen & nutrient supply to the
- Pregnancy changes the size and position of your heart
- It lead to increase in the cardiac output because of the baby
- The plasma and red blood cells also increase during pregnancy
- All these shows that the cardiovascular system tries to compensate for the baby that needs nutrients and oxygen
Lifestyle Practice that affects cardiovascular system: Eating habits and exercise
- Consumption of foods that are high in saturated fats, high in cholesterol and low in fibre
- Food less of fruits
- Alcohol consumption
- Plays an important role in keeping some fit
- Helps maintain proper heart functions in terms of pumping of blood
- Enhance blood circulation in all part of body
- Muscles that are in use during the process of exercise contribute to effective blood circulation to all part of the body
Seiler, B. & Levitt, B. (2008). JOYFUL MUSIC MAY PROMOTE HEART HEALTH, ACCORDING TO UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND SCHOOL OF MEDICINE STUDY. University of Maryland medical center.
Retrieved 14 April, 2013 from http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/music-cardiovascular.htm
WebMD, (2013). Image collection: Human Anatomy. Heart Health Center.
Retrieved 14 April, 2013 from http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart
National Geographic, (2013). Photo Gallery: Heart.
Retrieved 15 April, 2013 from http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/photos/heart/#/inside-heart_1008_600x450.jpg
Lakatta, E.G. (2005). Arterial Aging; is it an immutable cardiovascular risk factor. Brief Reviews. American Heart Association.
Retrieved 15 April, 2013 from http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/46/3/454.full