Human beings exhibit different traits and react to different situation in as varied ways as there are people. It is hard to describe anyone into a category of human behavior as everyone tends to exhibit varying degrees of each of the big five traits in their behavior. The big five behavior traits, Agreeableness, Extraversion, emotional stability, Conscientiousness, Openness to experience occur in my personality in varying degrees.
Extroversion - I would describe myself as extroverted since I like to be assertive on my viewpoints on a majority of issues. I also tend to be talkative and able to start a conversation on the slightest chance available both traits being an indication of extroversive behavior.
Agreeableness - On agreeableness, I take myself to be a likeable character that is able to start and maintain productive relationship with all people with whom I relate. The trend of having numerous working relationships both professionally and socially is a good pointer to the fact that I possess an agreeable persona.
Conscientiousness - Dependability is a value I hold dear in all my dealings ensuring that I meet deadlines, fulfill promises I make with anyone. These traits are a manifestation of meticulousness as defined in the Conscientiousness trait among the main five traits. I would not describe myself as careless, however, but exhibits some level of un-inhibition which makes me unpredictable at times
Neuroticism - I am generally happy and composed with no indication of any negative, long-term symptoms of emotional instability. I exhibit calmness and calculated reaction. However, occasional feelings of distraught due to a deal gone wrong or an argument with a colleague or associate due emerge. These feelings however, do not amount to introversion since they are fleeting and mild. I do not stay reserved in isolation even in times of adversity and tries to go out and interact with other people and try to cheer up.
Openness to experience - On cultural grounding and ability to adjust to situations, I find myself as an easily adaptable individual having an ability to speak several languages. This is due to cosmopolitan upbringing, which exposed me to different cultures. I also find it easy to accommodate view different points occasioned by either religious, moral or even by virtue of age difference.
Below are some of the terminal values that are most desirable to me.
- Achieving a comfortable/prosperous life – I would require to have ambition to achieve this goal which encompasses hard work and aspiration, which are integral, in achieving prosperity in all goals requiring effort.
- Making a lasting contribution to both my family and the society at large - Imagination is the trait I feel I possess that will enable me to leave a lasting mark in the society as well as in the society. By visualizing goals and believing they are achievable, one goes on doing amazing things in life.
- Ability to ensure the security of my family in all respects including but not limited to financial security. – I possess the desire to being dependable which I feel will go a long way in aiding my aim of securing my family.
- Achieve self-respect. - Displaying competence in my professional life and social responsibilities earns an individual respect which in turn makes him feel important to society. The sense of importance to others brings about self-respect in the individual.
- Acquire inner harmony/ freedom from inner conflict. - By being Open-minded, I am able to identify and reconcile the different points of conflict in my life such as resolving long standing grudges with a family member for instance.
- Lead an exciting and active life – By trying as much as I can to remain cheerful, even in times of adversity, an exciting and happy life is attainable. Sorrow causes an individual to retreat into their being hampering their productivity.
- Discover true religion and be at peace with my spirituality. – By being at peace with my spirituality requires intelligence and reflection on the meaning of true religion and doing what is truly right.
- Achieve equality in the spirit of togetherness and brotherhood – Holding love and affection for all people regardless of their religion, tribe, race or gender, will enable me to treat all people equally without discrimination.
- Be content and happy – life offers one all the tools to either build or deconstruct, by showing gratitude for what life has offered me and what I have achieved in doing, a life of happiness and contentment is attainable
(10)Attain true wisdom and understand the true meaning of life – true wisdom is the knowledge appreciation of what truly matters in life and what is is temporary and material comforts. Intellectual discourses with my peers and reflection on my life are some of the strategies that I shall employ in achieving true wisdom and understanding the true meaning of life.
In the attainment of the terminal values however, it is not always possible to muster and utilize the instrumental traits required to achieve them. I consider my personality orientation to be the exacting type personality. This is to mean that I love getting things ‘right’ and may arise situations where I criticize others in order for them to rectify certain errors and get things in order. I am low on the agreeability at times due to my constant demand for better from others. Agreeability is a trait I feel will be very important in helping me achieve my goal of making a permanent impression upon my family and the society in general. People are important the achievement of goals, either as partners or assistants, being agreeable to them is a big step in making them work in my projects unreservedly.
I feel that by placing myself under authority and experiencing the cruel and irritating nature of sticklers to detail demanding type personality is able to help me appreciate the experience I put others through by my demanding nature.