1. Describe what the hobby is: My hobby is travelling. Especially I like travelling to my home country to Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
2. How did you pick up this hobby: When my dad was sick, I had to travel to my home country quite often to look after him, since then, irrespectively of sad memories that my father’s illness brought me, I started to enjoy travelling in general.
3. What about the hobby do you enjoy most: the most import thing about travelling to my home country is seeing my family, especially my dad. Since early childhood he used to spoil me giving me everything I needed. The second thing is, of course, Haiti itself, its nature, the food it offers and other supplemental hobbies it nurtures.
More detailed outline:
Speech Title: Travelling is My Favorite Hobby
Purpose: to inform the audience of the enjoyment in my hobby of travelling and visiting my family in Haiti.
1. My hobby is travelling. Especially I like travelling to my home country to Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
2. When my dad was sick, I had to travel to my home country quite often to look after him, since then I started travelling more often.
3. The most import thing about travelling to my home country is seeing my family, especially my dad.
Sometimes living in America you get the feeling that you don’t have to travel around the world to see other cultures and places, because if you look around practically all of us are from different cultural background and ancestry, and if you look for food in the street, you’ll see all kinds of restaurants offering various kinds of food: from Chinese, French, British, Italian to Spanish and Mexican. But as for me, all of this diversity makes me feel like I want to check its authenticity and see the countries with my own eyes. Some of us indeed like to try out new things, get to know people from around the world, etc., but still you may not like travelling because of the headache it brings: like getting your suitcase ready, buying tickets, standing in airport queues, getting flight or sea sickness or changing time zones with all that it implies. Once I had to travel quite often to my home country to Port-au-Prince, Haiti, because my dad happened to be very ill and needed someone to care for him. So I got used to travelling a lot in a very short period of time. And irrespectively of sad memories connected with my father’s illness, I fell in love with travelling and now nothing can stop me from visiting my family in Haiti, not even flight, passport or baggage hassle associated with travelling. As you may have already guessed, today I am going to tell you about my favorite hobby, which is travelling, and in particular, I’ll be telling you more about my trips to Haiti and why I actually enjoy them so much.
Main point 1. My hobby is travelling. Especially I like travelling to my home country to Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
A. My hobby is travelling. (In this part I am describing your assumed favorite features of travelling)
1 I have not been to many places yet, but I plan to visit more countries as soon as I have an opportunity. So far life has drawn me to Bahamas and Dominican Republic; I’ve also travelled around California and visited New York city.
2 The reason for me to love travelling is that it opens up the opportunities of seeing the world in entirely new way. First off, it gives you a lot of knowledge about other peoples and cultures. So in 2 days you may learn more than you’d learn in years studying that culture in textbooks in college.
3 Travelling also brings opportunities of expressing oneself and appreciating world languages, especially when you talk to someone with completely different culture without knowing his or her language. Thus travelling, I’ve realized that even my body language has strengthen, because when you don’t know the language of the country you’re travelling to, you have to learn to efficiently communicate with signals, gestures, and even facial expressions. So travelling is all about learning, but not in the usual sense of that word, where you have to study theory rather practice. Travelling is a sort of experiential learning.
B. (Start off by showing a picture of your family) What’s so peculiar about my hobby, is that for me travelling purports feelings of love, and it’s not incidental.
1 Because one of the most important things my hobby brings to me is seeing my family. As my family lives in Haiti, I often travel there to visit my relatives and pay my respects.
2 Unfortunately my father, who was the contributor to my love of travelling, died last year aged 102, so sadly I don’t have my source of inspiration and love anymore, but I still visit my home country because of my friends and other members of my family.
3 Travelling to Port-au-Prince gives me a pleasure of being in my natural community, it also brings another chance of seeing places near my home town, taking horse rides with my kids, relaxing and just enjoying myself.
Main point 2. When my dad was sick, I had to travel to my home country quite often to look after him, since then I started travelling more often.
A. Dad’s sickness.
1. When my dad was sick, I had to travel to my home country quite often to look after him, since then, irrespectively of sad memories that my father’s illness brought me, I started to enjoy travelling in general.
2. When I was younger, my dad spoiled me, as he always gave me what I wanted. Inexplicably but whenever and wherever I travel now, even if I do not travel to Haiti, arranging the trip, buying tickets, making out my travelling itinerary, reminds me of my dad. And since I only have positive feelings and emotions of him, I also have positive attitude toward travelling.
3. Planning my trip in advance, being uneasy because of my father’s illness, fretting on occasions of the planes being late or delayed for some reason, and finally anticipating happily the reunion with my family, made me stop worrying about minute details and inconveniences that travelling may bring, and acquire travelling as a “full-time” hobby.
B. Seeing other places.
1 When I grew up I visited other places and fell in love with them (it will be great if you show a few pictures from places like New York, Santa Domingo etc pointing at the pictures and naming them: This is … the Statue of Liberty and my kids in front, for example)
2 In 2009 (correct if wrong) I happened to visit Santo Domingo (show pictures if applicable), the capital of the Domican republic. Despite great nature, food, and various recreational activities Santo Domingo offers, I visited numerous national landmarks and museums. What interested me in particular was the Zona Colonial district of the city, which was declared a UNESCO World Haritage in 1990. The landmark includes such amazing buildings as National Pantheon, Catedral Primada de América, etc. Thus, my trip to Dominican Republic was like a historical journey to me, and reinforced my love to travelling as a source of new knowledge and experience.
3 One sunny morning I found myself lying on a beach on one of the islands in Bahamas (pictures, if applicable). In my memory Bahamas journey is associated with its beautiful nature, especially with its national flower, yellow elder, which blooms throughout the year, and with its cultural festivities, involving dances, work boat competitions and the like.
Main point 3. The most import thing about travelling is seeing my family, especially my dad.
A. The importance of being with the family (attachment to father).
1. It’s quite hard to pick up just one thing that I might enjoy most in my hobby, as it has so many different facets. And irrespectively of travelling to many places, I still long to visit just one country and that’s my home country, where my family and my friends live. So summing things up, I will say, that what I most enjoy in travelling is the opportunity it brings to socialize with my beloved ones.
2. Going to my family always relieved me from stress associated with my studies and work here in, the US.
3. It also gave my kids the opportunity to enjoy themselves in the hands of their grandparents.
B. There are also many other special things about Haiti.
1. While being on trips in Haiti, my kids and I also acquired several new hobbies, among them playing soccer on the beach and riding horses. We have our own private beach around, where I spend a lot of time sunbathing or fooling around.
2. I taught my kids to ride horses a while ago, so by now they have already mastered some riding techniques. And as for me, I truly believe that when you’re up on a horse and riding, it seems like the world has stopped moving and you suddenly find yourself in heaven.
3. Despite having originated from French cuisine, the Haitian food has local spice in it and has never stopped surprising newcomers from abroad. My family is particularly fond of cooking, so cooking is also sort of my hobby. I love to work on national dish, mayi moulin, which can be partly compared to cornmeal and can be served with fish.
In conclusion, it’s worth quoting St Augustine, who once said that “the world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page”. I sincerely agree with this statement, and thus I plan to visit other countries as well to learn more about different cultures, try out new food, and maybe even learn another language.