- My cultural identity is being a Punjabi and the two cultural backgrounds that make up my identity are being a Pakistani and a Muslim. ---Pakistani is my national identity while being Muslim is my religious identity. Punjabi narrows down to provincial identity that is majorly my cultural identity.
- The activities of my life have a lot of cultural reflections. My communication styles, fun activities and family life all display the hints of the culture of Punjab. We often communicate in Punjabi language while liking the activities that are more daring and loud. While being a Muslim, I have to take care of many things before taking action. Morality comes into display and the values taught by Islam and then preached by my parents have a lot of effects on my actions.
- My cultural identity has played a lot of roles in perusing my job. Being an active person, I am not afraid to face new challenges, but being a Muslim has put many hard challenges in front of me due to the biases of people against Islam.
- Being the Chair of the Committee would be hard but a daring challenge for me. Due to the misconceptions that people have about my religion, I could face a lot of criticism from the people working under me. Many workers can support me due to this while other can discriminate.
- The reasons are:
- It helps a person to reflect on the role as a member of the management committee
- It helps to identify the areas needed for development
- It helps a person to understand him or herself and build serious aims to achieve the objectives.
- A committee consisting of a variety of members helps to share new ideas to develop the required areas. Every member of the committee belongs to different countries and has a separate cultural identity. This helps to bring forward a variety of unique ideas from around the world so that the different perspectives can be shared and worked on.
- The ‘right talks’ in committee can cause a lot of problems for the committee. The committee includes people from different cultural backgrounds and despite the high education that they receive; there still exist heavy biases that can damage the environment of the organization . A lot of people some cultures believe that they are superior to the other cultures, but that thought would cause real problems in an organization who already has people belonging to different cultures from around the world. This would mislead the company, and it would fail to achieve its objectives . The media has also played its part in creating biases against some cultures, which has caused a major setback for the working environments.
- The three strategies are:
- The committee can come up with a law that no talks related to the cultural discrimination will be allowed during work.
- There can be an open talk discussion to discuss and understand the viewpoints of the people belonging to different cultural identities.
- They can involve the members in fun and positive activities belonging to different cultures .
- The five guidelines are:
- Arrange sponsored activities of each culture so that people can understand other cultures
- Conducting orientations every month to identify the needs of the different cultures
- Conduct multi-cultural festivals
- Conduct a strict policy of non-bias work
- Conduct sessions where the viewpoints of every member are respected regardless of his cultural identity .
Controversies and culture. (1998). The Economist. Retrieved from: http://www.economist.com/node/178046
Sue, D. W., & Sue, D. (2011). Counseling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Practice. Manhattan: John Wiley & Sons.