Self-worth is the root of self-confidence. Self-confidence is an intrinsic feeling that it can convey itself from the outside in numerous ways. People tend to feel emotionally, mentally and physically content with themselves, know their qualities and drawbacks, and try to alter what they can and adapt to what they cannot when they are confident ("personalexcellence.co"). As human beings, we are all worthy, and having an affirmative place in this world is our birthright. Unfortunately, some of us do not realize this truth and we often judge ourselves. When talking about self-confidence, it must be noted that people who seem to be try their best to appear confident as usually the contrary of that. Thus, self-confidence is not dressing some specific way, or walking a certain way. There are many people who work too hard to protect their image but they are not truly confident, they have just learned how to mask their internal feelings.
The people who are self-confident tend to have the type of mentality that “If you’re okay, I’m okay.” They also seem to be authentic, courageous, and they are not afraid of expressing themselves in affirmative ways. Additionally, since confident people feel nice about themselves so they are usually more consenting of others and this also makes them more tolerant. Most of the judgmental behavior that many of us tend to have toward others does not come from the other person but rather from within our own intrinsic-self. Generally, people have nice feelings about their life when they have nice feelings about themselves and who they are. Regardless of what they get in life, they try to make the most of it. They never consider things personally and keep grudges.
Determination and effort are necessary when it comes to developing self-confidence, which is a continual process. Anyone trying to develop their self-confidence should keep the following tips in mind:
1. Taking it a single step at one time: Put some thought into where you are at the moment, how far you have come and credit yourself for getting this far. Think about the things that are important to you, the place you want to be, the things that make your life meaningful, and think about your values. A solid foundation is where self-confidence begins and it is based on one’s own passions and values for the general good (Pittman).
2. Ensuring that your values and your lifestyle coincide: Are your values are not compatible with how you behave? Then, you will end up with intrinsic conflict and that shatter you up. So, make sure you pay attention to both and try to get these two to function together in unison ("healthylifestyleplus.com").
3. Living, behaving and believing in moderation: Depending on the things that you want and how you want yourself to be, start modifying your behavior, your lifestyle and your thoughts accordingly.
4. Monitoring yourself, behaviorally and cognitively: To do this, you should think positive and rationally. You can make better advancement on the things that are not working and make the essential changes by focusing on what is working. Activate your emotions that are positive and dismiss the emotions that are negative. Make sure you focus and reflect on your advancement, and the things you want to alter every day by spending a couple of minutes (Dobosh).
5. Recognizing insecurities: Many times there is a voice in the back of your head that tends to make you insecure. Often, there are things that you feel ashamed of or uncomfortable about. This can be anything, whether acne, being fat, a negative or experience from your past, or regrets. Insecurities such as these will make you feel ashamed, inferior, or cause you to feel unworthy of yourself, which in turn will make you feel less confident about yourself. Once you have identified your insecurities, what you should do is name them and write them down. You can also begin feeling positive about your insecurities by tearing the pieces of paper you have written down your insecurities on.
6. Becoming helpful for others however you can: There is no specific formula when it comes to doing a good deed for others. We do not have to be heroic in the eyes of the public to do something good. Find your individual way in which you can help others. Just to be thankful for whatever you already have, just help and give whatever comes from your core and heart, and avoid having any hopes. Nonetheless, you will get a blissful internal joy in return that will help you develop a worthwhile self-confidence.
7. Developing on skills and learning new things: Learning new talents and strengthening the talents you have at the moment is also an important step in developing self-confidence.
8. Bouncing back from mistakes: Keep in mind that no one is perfect. The reality is that at some point even confident people tend to feel that there is something lacking in them. Bumps down the road are a natural part of life. Similarly, insecurities keep coming and going, and they are no reason to lose one’s self-confidence.
9. Being close to aware, honest, positive, and well-intended people: Carefully choose the people you surround yourself with and if you trust their judgment, then be open to their productive feedback. Have definite barriers to protect your mind and heart, and avoid inviting drama, ignorance and negativity into your life.
10. Being genuine: Whatever you do, never sell your honesty no matter what. Avoid believing something or following someone if it means betraying yourself, and it does not feel right to your instincts and your logical mind.
11. Taking reasonable risks: When it comes to healthy lifestyle, a person must not only stay grounded and reasonably careful at all times, but a person must be ready to experience things never experienced before, learn from these things, take some risks and move ahead ("affirmations-for-radical-success.com").
12. Accepting the support and love of others completely and openly: If you have that paranoid person within you, then prevent that person from reading into acts of love too much and simply take whatever you get positively. Also, you should have a loving behavior and show your feelings in healthily and positively.
Being self-confident increases the efficiency and productivity of people in their everyday lives. People are able to give more and they leave positive effects on the people surrounding them. They become more persistent and resistant, and they willingly accept challenges without hesitance. Self-confident people spend most of their time fixing rather than complaining. With self-confidence come great communication skills and healthy relationships. In conclusion, self-confidence is an ability that can be learned by everyone, self-confidence is not a limited skill for just few people but is open to all. Developing self-confidence simply needs practice.
" Some Advice For Losing Low Self-Confidence." healthylifestyleplus.com. Healthy Lifestyle Plus, 17 2012. Web. 2 Dec 2012.
"How To Be The Most Confident Person In The World."personalexcellence.co. Personal Excellence. Web. 2 Dec 2012.
"Self Confidence is your Key to Success." affirmations-for-radical-success.com. Affirmations For Radical Success. Web. 2 Dec 2012.
Dobosh , Melissa Ann. "THE IMPACT OF COGNITIVE COMPLEXITY AND SELF-MONITORING ON LEADERSHIP EMERGENCE." udel.edu. University of Delaware, n.d. Web. 2 Dec 2012.
Pittman, Rebecca F.. "Building Self-Esteem, One Step at a Time!." troubleshootingmen.net. Troubleshooting Men. Web. 2 Dec 2012.