Ashford University has been on a notable receiving end by natural disasters. The disasters that have been on the repeated hit on Ashford University include; Tornadoes, floods and storms (Matter 12-24). As a result, many things have been on the subjected to instances of destruction. In this regard, reports dictate that tornadoes have been an almost accepted phenomenon. Whenever heavy rain rains in their appropriate season’s rain, tornadoes have been engulfing the entire of Ashford’s main campus and the surrounding environs. In essence, the resultant effect of tornadoes to Ashford University has been overwhelming commencing from the time when it was established. It is stated that, more than two thousand students have been losing their lives yearly whenever floods occur. Similarly, the effects of tornadoes are not new to anyone living in Lowa as it regards to storm instances in Ashford University. The reason behind the notable high rate of flooding in Ashford University’s main campus is appreciated by the fact that, the campus is located in an area that assumes a sloppy terrain.
In essence, this subjects the campus to all the water that accumulates as a result of the overwhelming rain. In this case, Ashford becomes flooded and tornadoes result. Buildings are destroyed as a result of the floods. Learning has always been crippled in the process since the resultant buildings, learning facilities and movements have always dragged the education setup of Ashford University on a slowed trend. At no point has it ever happened that the performance of Ashford superseded that of other Universities such the University of California (Governor’s Office of Emergency Services 12-34). In this regard, the comparison comes in as a result of the act that, California University does not fall victim of natural disasters. It is in regard to its geographical position.
In essence, it is important to prepare for flood as a disaster so to abet the effects that have been observed in the above positions.
The purpose of this of this disaster preparedness plan on floods in Ashford University purposes to do the following:
• Enlighten the school administration on measures that can be taken into consideration so as to harmonize the gross effects of tornadoes (Kevin 40-47).
• The role of this plan is to facilitate uninterrupted study in the University of Ashford’s main campus.
• This plan is strategized to ensure that tornadoes are will prepare for before they hit the University.
• In the event that floods inevitably happen without any control mechanisms, the plan looks forward to offering solutions to such a situation.
• In regard to the holding that much money ends up being used in repairs occasioned by tornados, the plan targets to bring on board a situation that decreases the spending on the same.
Situation and Assumptions
The issue of the manifestations of tornadoes is guided by the following organizations and personalities (Perry 45-134).
1. WAC 118.30.060: Responsible for emergency issues and the management of disasters.
2. WAC 388-78A-2700: It is in charge of disaster instances and protection of victims of disasters.
3. President of Ashford University: He is in charge of all operations that take the center stage in Ashford University.
• It is evident that, Ashford University is affected by calamites in the context of disasters. In essence, its main campus is the most affected area.
• Students, Lecturers and Staff of Ashford University require a well formulated plan that focuses on bringing into the scope awareness, readiness and amicable solutions in the event disasters occur.
• There is a great possibility that, tornado disasters can occur at any time.
• If tornadoes occur, external means of resolving the situation can be applied in the event primary means get exhausted without any reasonable results (Department of Home Security Limited 34).
• Federal and state departments of Lowa can to the rescue of the disaster.
• At times, the extent of the disaster may overwhelm all the available solutions. It is, therefore, important to come up with a way that foresees and plans on the possibility of occurrence of a disaster.
• Proper plans and procedures are necessary for a proper plan which will be consistent with the provisions of the laws of the country.
Concept of Operations
A facility should be should be implemented. It shows offer care services to those who happen to fall victims of tornadoes in the University. They include; students, lectures and subordinate staff.
However, this plan can take the shape of both internal and external emergencies that arise
• Evaluate the possibility of the weaknesses of the care facility.
• Put in place a communication system that works effectively.
• Strategize on the existence of systems that are purposed to warn people whenever necessary.
• Install channels that allow for the drainage of the excess water during rainy seasons.
1. Have a qualified and registered company make the channels and water passages.
2. Come up with procedures that will facilitate proper drainage of the excess water that comes in large amounts.
3. All procedures should be documented and their records put aside for safe keeping and references.
• Ensure that there is a good supply of food for students and servants due to the existing circumstance.
1. Link with an external company for the supply of food
2. Supplies should be rotated and their respective expiry dates checked accordingly.
• Plan for a program that entails the training and equipping of employees on the applicability of the emergency plan.
• Enhance education on emergencies.
1. Encourage and facilitate the preparedness of all the staff purposed to deal with the disaster.
2. Provide for proper escape route in case of an emergency.
3. Put into place demonstrations on how the warning systems that show the presence of an absurd situation work.
• Make large tunnels and bridges within radii of fifty meters from all university buildings. They should, however, correspond to the provisions of federal laws and the laws of the United States of America.
1. For each shaft, one tunnel should be drilled on the land that makes up Ashford University.
2. Documentation of each tunnel is required. In the document, the date, time frame and the people who worked on it should be placed into consideration.
3. If any problems are witnessed with the drill, must the relevant problems documented.
4. Possible solutions should be suggested and the respective implemented put into consideration.
• The location of the disaster management plan should be placed at the rich of all workers.
• Plan for the relocation of students.
1. Set aside people who will be responsible for evacuation.
2. Devise o the possible methods that should be used for transport in the transportation.
3. Identify instances of special persons who may need detailing the transportation.
4. During the relocation of students, concerns should be placed on food, goods, documents and all material that falls relevant for the survival of students.
5. Have on board other escape avenues that can be used in case the routes become extremely impassible as a result of the floods.
6. Come to terms on the number and amount of things each student can be rescued along.
7. Describe the time that shall approximately be needed for the evacuation process of the student.
8. Highlight a cogent ground to be students used in accounting for the students.
When a warning is notified, the staff in charge should be given proper notification. The administrator should then:
• Initiate the respective emergency plan
• In this case, it is on floods, the weather about clouds.
• Agencies in the jurisdiction of the disaster location which in this case is Lowa should be informed of the plan.
• The staff should be made aware of the command post location. It is the place where most activities will be conducted.
• The preparedness plan should be reviewed so as to make due considerations on, routes that shall be used as escape paths for the disaster victims.
• The availability of the emergency staff should be confirmed.
• Parents for the students studying in this University should be contacted.
• Radio should be monitored so as to keep track of the activities that entail the flood disasters. In essence, it is relevant for the purpose of disseminating information to the public as far as the tornadoes are concerned.
• Water and food supplies should be checked so as to ensure that, the necessities do not fully satisfy the needs of the victims and do not go out.
• Pharmaceutical and medical facilities should be availed so as to facilitate quick and efficient offering of medical services to victims of disasters.
• Warnings should be issued to workers and the staff that is in charge of the disaster management process.
In the event of an emergency, the Administrator of the disaster management shall be responsible for the following roles:
• Ensure that the pre emergency factors and conditions are fully adhered to and regarded. On the same note, they are expected to occasion a proper operationalization of Preparedness of disasters.
• They are entitled with the mandate of determining and activating disaster management schemes. Similarly, Command post and communication in the whole process that facilitates the proposition to off the plan is under the discretion of the administrators.
• They are expected to come up with figures that account for additional resources. In this regard, it is for the purposes of ensuring that, the plan comes to fulfilling its function.
• The Administrator is expected to offer assistance to the local jurisdiction in the case of a similar calamity.
• Ensuring that efficient, prompt and unequivocal safe regard of documents and records for the disaster victims.
As a result of an emergency situation, it is plausible that the Administrator does the following;
1. Provides for counseling for disaster victims and their families on the tornado crisis.
2. Should provide information that relates to hygiene to students.
3. He should provide alternative housing to those students who cannot easily access accommodation in case the crisis center stages when the students are in session.
4. He should prepare a list and present it to the local authorities. It should encompass those who are displaced, injure and die in the course of the disaster.
Organization and Responsibilities
Directions in the ultimate running of a disaster management plan are in the hands of a facility administrator. Similarly, an administrator is mandated to bring on board communications with organizations and agencies that fall relevance to the disaster issue. Furthermore, departments such as Police departments, Disaster Management Departments are brought in the context the situations in the event the administrator dutifully in cooperates with them.
In essence, the disaster management Administrator performs the following;
• Ensure that communication is well facilitated in the entire process that facilitates disaster management.
• Coordinates processes that pave in instances that support rescue mechanisms for the flood disaster victims.
• Tornado disaster preparedness procedures are under the supervision of the Administrator.
• Responsibilities that guide operations that underlie operationalization of management of disasters are supported by the presence of the Administrator. His appoints and assigns duties that are elemental to the whole process of regulating and curbing disasters.
Communication Backup plan
In order to keep track of all information that supports efforts towards the prevention mechanisms, it is important to set up a backup system that works like a server.
Warning on Tornadoes
Ashford university students should be warned and made aware of the likely events that are likely to be significant on the detailed that concern tornadoes.
Emergence Public Information
Information on emergency information should be passed to all students and people on the neighboring vicinities.
In this regard, the evaluation process will be directed on aspects of priority. The more injured a person is, the more the attention the person needs. However, the process should be conducted cautiously not to miss on important matters.
Mass care for the Injured
In the event, many injuries are ensured; it is reasonable to come to terms that medical facilities should be instituted to facilitate the same. In this case, environs surrounding the campus will be under regard.
Departmnet of Home Security Limited. "State nand Local GOvernment Continuity of operations." U.S. Department of Homeland Security continuity of operations manager (2013): 56-78.
Govermor's Office of Emergency Services. "Topic: COOP and COG –Office of Emergency Issues." State of California, Office of Emergency (2014): 12-34.
Matter, Front. Universityof Ashford. 10 February 2009. 29 March 2014 <http://www.ashford.edu/about.htm>.
"Modern Plan Emergencies Program." Department of Public Safety (2013): 40-47.
Perry, Ronald. "Introduction to Emergency Planning: The Contexts of Emergency Planning." Emergency Planning (2014).