The apparatus that is used for heating and cooking food in a gradual process is referred to as the barbeque. There are a variety of barbeques available in the market. Over a period of time, the design and technical features of the barbeque have undergone several advancements.
A few design constraints that can be applied on the barbeque apparatus are given below.
- Solar Barbeque
Solar cells and panels can be used for trapping and utilizing the readily available solar energy for cooking food. To create the solar barbeque, it is required to provide a smooth and reflective surface on the top-side of the interior of the barbeque hood. A flexible mirror is the best possible option for the purpose. This mirror will focus the sun beams on the barbeque cup allowing it to heat up, concentrate sufficient heat on the raw food item and thus cook it. The entire cross-section of the barbeque-hood needs to be painted in black so that it becomes a good absorber of heat.
Solar barbeque is a eco-friendly and cost-efficient manner of cooking. It makes an effective use of an alternative energy source besides helping in saving a lot of money over the long term. Apart from this, it will eliminate the need for the gas cylinder simplifying the entire system.
- Covered sections below the hood
Covered sections in the form of drawers and cup-boards can be provided just beneath the hood. Since this area is free and vacant, it can be effectively used for constructing cup-boards. These cup-boards can be used for placing utensils, cutlery sets and food items.
- Heat calculating instrument
A heat calculating instrument can be placed on the surface of the hood. The function of the hood is to measure the level of heat generated inside the hood. This will give an idea of the inside conditions according to which the user can balance the temperature with the help of the controlling knobs at the panel. It can also be used in the solar banquet to control the inside temperature.
- Circular hood
A circular hood will enhance the appearance of the banquet making it trendier. Besides this, it will give the best angles of concentration of several sun-beams entering the hood onto a single focal point at the centre. Food when placed at appropriate location will get optimally cooked.
- Stainless steel and galvanized body
When the body of the barbeque is made up of stainless steel, it gets adequate strength and durability to withstand the deteriorating effects of weathering and other harming agents. To further protect it from rusting and damage, steel needs to be coated with a layer of zinc i.e. galvanized. Moreover, a power coating on top of the galvanized layer insulates the surface from the various damaging effects.
The relevant primary as well as secondary functions of the design project i.e. barbeque are mentioned below.
- The most significant function of the barbeque is to cook food by generating heat inside the hood. Solar energy that is abundantly available on earth can be intelligently used to cook food. It is eco-friendly and cost-effective in the long run. Therefore, it is quite useful and beneficial. However, the conventional and other modern techniques are also available so it is not compulsory to use the solar cooking techniques solely.
- A Barbeque apparatus runs on four wheels. It provides a mobile system for cooking food, transporting it to distances and also for keeping it warm over a long time. It can also be considered as the ‘Kitchen on Wheels.’ Wheels are an integral element of the barbeque and are hence necessary.
- Moreover, the pair of wheels on the two opposite sides are differently sized in the new deluxe barbeques. This is so because differently sized wheels provide varying degrees of mobility and a control over the movement of the barbeque apparatus. This feature was not found in the barbeques of the earlier times. The facility has enhanced convenience for the barbeque users but still it not a necessity and can also be avoided if desired.
- Cup-boards at the bottom section of the barbeque provide a convenient storage system. Since, this space remains vacant it can be closed and used as a cup-board leading to efficient usage of space. Despite its utility and functionality it is not a necessity to provide cup-boards. However, it is always desired to provide this facility as it will greatly enhance the system.
- Two side-racks at the opposite ends for tasks like placing towels etc. the barbeque apparatus is also held and controlled for movement with the help of these members. Therefore, it is a primary function element and it is quite necessary to provide this feature in a barbeque.
Pair-wise comparison chart
Numerical Evaluation Matrix
Komando, J. (n.d.). 51 Sizzling Barbecue Designs. Retrieved from Trend Hunter: http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/pro-joe-grill-by-komado-joe