Most friends chuckle when I tell them that my favorite TV show is Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey and its host, the Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, is my hero. They get startled knowing that I spend Friday nights at the observatory of a local university, peering through a 20-inch telescope at the moon, globular clusters, planets, nebulas, and galaxies. They gave up listening on knowing that I usually spend several hours a night watching YouTube clips on the double slit theory, the effect of gravity on time, subatomic particles, and other mysteries related to the very essence of the universe.
When my parents or friends inquire why I stayed up all last night or why I am so interested in “Space Stuff”, I always answer with; “I am just curious”. The addictive curiosity of the universe we live in began since my childhood. I can still remember going into my father’s library and pulling out a dusty large book called National Geographic Encyclopedia of Space. After curiously flipping through several pages, one remarkable fact seemed to rein in: “Some stars are so far away, that by the time their ghostly light reaches our eyes here on the earth, they have long exploded and died away”.
The comprehension and appreciation of space being very large blew my mind and I have been consumed by the idea of science and space ever since. I duly became passionate during middle school when I watched a video where Neil deGrasse Tyson estimated that humans only understand 4% of this universe, and that we have no idea what’s driving the other 96%. Subsequently, I became fervent when Tyson explained that atoms comprising the human body and life on earth were made billions of years ago in the center of a star. Formed under the extreme pressures and temperatures of a star, earth is the only place in the universe where carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen exist. Overall, my curiosity of the natural world has led me to discover these facts and much more. My curiosity has not only extended to deep late night debates and discussions during sleepovers, but also resulted in its pursuit into the grand scheme of my career and life. With the tenacity, determination, and curiosity inherent in my character, I strongly believe that I would be an excellent candidate for higher education and research in any branch of sciences.
Curiosity about the Cosmos captivates and motivates me to seek higher education in sciences. My motivation is limitless and vast extending to pursue courses on everything from computer programming, genes and diseases, physics, medicine, and astronomy. My curiosity allows me to think deeply and logically which not only helps when theorizing how dark matter affects the expansion of the multi-verse, but also positively impact real life situations. For example, in a leadership role, I tend to think outside of the box to consider and encompass all elements in play.
I seek university education not just because that is what everybody is doing or to get a job, but because I yearn to learn more. I want to learn everything I can about the 4% of what humans have already accomplished and maybe even discover something within the remaining 96%. I want to alleviate my lust for knowledge by seeking an assortment of science classes from biology to physics, the keys to mysteries of human and Cosmos existence.
My life experiences as a background story describe the very essence of my thinking and character; it makes me who I am. My curiosity has led me to many great things, and I am certain that it will lead me to more exciting life and career experiences. As Neil deGrasse Tyson once said “In the end, it’s the people who are curious that change the world”. (630 word count).