Chapter 6 and 7 outline
Chapter 6 outline - TELESCOPES: PORTALS OF DISCOVERY - Eye and cameras: everyday light sensor
How your eye does form an image? - Refraction - Focusing light - Image formation
How does we record image?
- Focusing light - What we have learnt - Telescope: Giant eye
What are the two most important properties of telescope?
- Light collecting area - Bigger is better - Thought question - Angular resolution
What are the two basic designs of the telescopes?
- Refracting telescope - Reflecting telescope
What do astronomers do with telescopes?
- Imaging - Spectroscopy - Timing - Timing - Telescope and the atmosphere
How does Earth’s atmosphere affect ground-based observation?
- Light pollution - Twinkling and turbulence - Adaptive optics - Calm, high, dark, dry
Why do we put telescope into space?
- Transmission in atmosphere - Eyes and cameras: everyday ...