Personality can be defined an individual’s unique consolation of consistent behavioral traits. Personality is both biologically acquired and learned. Some aspects of personality that determined certain behavioral characteristics are biologically acquired such as a person’s manner of speech, walking style or temperamental traits. Others such as coping with certain situations or manner of behaving when in certain situations or places are leant or acruired through social interaction or with reinforcement.
Some people have fixed qualities like intelligence and thinking. Others believe that their intellectual’s traits are acquired through education and practice. These qualities aids in such situations as school transitions and promotions. In the movie steel toes Danny Dunckelman who is an advocate of the high court is appointed to represent mike who is arrested for the murder of an Indian man. Both of them have racial segregation that each loathes. Danny is a Jew who has a loathing for other races and considers them skin heads. His client is a tough country man. Despite all this differences Danny is a committed human activist who believes in justice for all. He prepares mike well for his trial and makes him feel the effects of the misguided life he has been leading. Through constant repetition and emphasis Danny was able to make mark change his crude personality to a human one. He represents him in court well and mike is able to avoid the long sentence of murder and instead he is charged for manslaughter. Thus compassion and forgiveness is symbolized by Danny and accepted by mike.
Thus some aspects of personality such as forgiveness and compassion are inborn such as the deep touching statement by the Indian on his death bed when he forgave mike. Other aspects such as the crude personality exhibited by mike can be changed or are just acquired or learnt. The example above argues or proves the argument that some aspects of personality can be changed. This is the leant aspects as a result of the interaction between nature and nurture. However some are biologically transmuted or acquired. Identical twins have same personality traits. There are eight aspects of personality that may hardly change. these are:
- Psychoanalytic this represents the unconscious mind first analyzed by fraud which consists of three parts the id which is the unconscious part of the brain and the ego and superego which represents morality. The id is totally unconscious and is unaware of any societal values and mostly manifests itself in Freud’s psychosexual stages of development.
- Neo-analytic represents the ego, according to Jung there are three types of the ego psyche. The conscious ego, personal unconscious and the collective unconscious.
- Biological these are in born temperamental traits that are genetically acquired. This part of personality cannot be changed regardless of practice.
- Cognitive is the aspect that deals with t5hought processing. Some people can process information faster than others while children of the same biological parents score differently on an IQ test.
- Behaviorist these are the negative aspects of personality that are considered inhumane and cruel. They are acquired as a result of social interaction. With reinforcement and punishment they can be changed.
- Traits these involve traits motives, skills and free will. They include dimensions of personality and personal characteristics.
- Humanistic these are free and open minded individuals. These aspect advocates for the spiritual fulfillment and achievement.
Baldwin, M.W., & Dandeneau, S.D. (2005). Understanding and modifying the relational schemas underlying insecurity. In M. Baldwin (Ed.), Interpersonal cognition (pp. 62–84
Johnson, S., Dweck, C.S., & Chen, F. (2007). Evidence for infants’ internal working models of attachment. Psychological Science, 18, 501–502.