- Imagine how life is in a desert, picture living in a desert or even near a dumpsite. The thirst, the
hunger, the heat, the dust and the stench you would have to endure. Life would be a whole lot of torment. What is that one thing that one would want to preserve most?
- The environment is apparently one of our greatest treasures. It is that one thing that we all have to make our best friend. All we have now is a reward from the ‘Mother Nature’.
- Go Green is a very common term throughout the world. It is a daily phrase from most of the people around the world. To ‘Go Green’ has been interpreted in several different ways, but they all point to the same subject. Going green refers to environmental conservation and preservation for a sustainable life.
- The environment is all that surrounds a living thing (Nakaya 2).
‘Do we need to Go Green?’ Do we need to be environmental friendly? This is the main question that we have to ask.
- The major components of the environment are the soil, water, plants and animals (United Nations 73). Without one of this main components of the environment life would seem to come to a halt.
- The soil is a very important part of us. Without the soil, there is no food from the plants.
- On the other hand if there were no plants animals would be at peril.
- More so, if there is no water or the water sources were destroyed no living part of the environment would survive.
- Lack of environmental friendliness has resulted to grave losses in different parts of the world (Welch106).
- Leaking Methyl isocyanide in India. In 1984, killed 2000 people.
- In Karachi, the Lyan River which goes through the city has become devoid of life and also produces a very strong stench which is offensive to the public. This is a result of wasted from industries being directed into the river.
- In Japan, Minamata City there were 6500 causalities from poisoning of the water.
- Many organizations, countries and even individuals have all taken steps towards being environmental friendly. Examples are;
- The PNC bank in the United States which increased its revenue by establishing a friendly environment. The bank branches that were established in those areas were found to generate more revenue that the other branches in the rest of the country.
- In the case of South Africa, the introduction of new regulation plans led to an increased coastline protection to 19%.
- Why should your friend die because of deforestation? Why should your relative get sick because of some poisonous gas that was emitted from your industry?
- We all would not like history of destruction to repeat itself as a result of neglect and ignorance of the very simple things we do. Let’s say NO to more deaths as a result of people’s activities, let’s curb disease that we cause to ourselves.
- It is time we became environmental friendly. Let us use all that will not destroy the nature which is our source of life (Dasman 64). Going green starts with oneself and if we all take responsibility it will be to the benefit of humankind. Let all of us ‘Go Green’.
Nakaya, Andrea C. The Environment. San Diego: Greenhaven press, 2006. Print
Dasman, Raymond F. Environmental conservation. New York: Wiley 1972. Print
Environment. New York: United Nations, 2001. Print
Welch, E B, and T Lindell. Ecological effects of waste water: applied Limnology and Pollution Effects. London: E and FN Spon, 1992. Print