Apart from being the author of the acclaimed book on sex, Guide to getting it on, used by many colleges to teach about sex, Dr. Paul Joannides is also an approved supervising psychologist in Northwest America. The author/psychologist is accredited with having influenced how sex as a topic is taught in schools and colleges. Dr. Paul Joannides is also an editor at the journal of sexual medicine. The author uses the experience to motivate students in colleges in and in the same time to introduce them to the allures of sex and how to do it right. As a young man Paul Joannides attended, California's San Joaquin Valley, a religious school that he accredits as being one of the reasons he joined this line of work. After school, Paul joined Berkeley in the early 70s and graduated ten years after. During his tenure in Berkely, the author did a research on PCP babies before becoming a fulltime sex peer
In one of his interviews with Oprah magazine Paul stated that his wife tony was one of the people in his team that help in editing his books. His understanding on sexual education has helped him become one of the board members of the American Journal of sexualities. According to him most of the sex research work today is done by the pharmaceutical industry. He also states that although he finds the research work exciting he has reservations when it comes to how the medical fraternity is approaching the sexual subject. What he finds disturbing is the fact that Viagra is used in heightening the senses of either man or woman in a sexual manner. Sexual problems found among both male and female subjects can dealt with by finding a partner who is willing to openly talk about the subject (Lockheed, Hall,1976).
In his view, sex is not a subject that can be rationalised or treated through pills, but can cured through finding excitement through communication. Dr. Joannides claims that, in order for couples to solve issues relating to sex found in the bedroom they have to admit within themselves that they do not understand the subject altogether. According to Paul is the first step to solving the problem. Time is one of the factors that the Paul stresses on. Through his research and study on the topic, the doctor claims that couples need to take time to know what makes their soups happy in bed (Joannides, 2004). He also goes ahead to state that apart from time learning what makes their opposites happy, one needs to learn what makes him happy. In his study on sexual attraction, the author claims that people should stop being too focused on their deformities and focus on the fun of sex.
According to him, most women blow it at the first sexual encounter because they become more focused on non-issues such as cellulite on their thighs and butt that they forget to have fun. According to him, such anxieties should be avoided and more energy concentrated on the expected fun that comes with the action. Apart from the sexual act, Paul claims that there are numerous of ways in which couples can stay connected to each other’s sexual life and hence go on to live a long pleasing sexual life.
Joannides, P. (2004). Guide to getting it on!: The universe's coolest and most informative book about sex for adults of all ages. Waldport, OR: Goofy Foot Press.
Lockheed, M. E. and Hall, K. P. (1976), Conceptualizing Sex as a Status Characteristic: Applications to Leadership Training Strategies. Journal of Social Issues, 32: 111–124.
Thank you for giving me this opportunity to answer on some of the questions regarding my topic of profession.
- The main reason I choose this particular profession on sexuality was, first, I wanted to explore the sexual filed since I thought that there was inadequate understanding on the topic. In addition, the field seemed to luck a lot of experts to handle the topic since most people thought the subject to be very sensitive and private
- Personally, I think Dr. Paul Joannides work is most interesting. His ability to conceptualize on the topic in a manner that even a layman would understand is what I find most appealing. Throughout most of his works, either books or blog, the author introduces theories such as “limiting anxiety so as to have fun” in a simplistic manner.
- What surprised me most about the author is his stand on Viagra. In his study, Paul states that Viagra is not a cure for any sexual problem. He states that most people confuse the affection of sex and the act is self. In his book, he states that for there to be a healthy sexual life, free from drugs such as Viagra and other sexual stimulants, couples need to learn how to communicate with each other.
- The most relevant contribution made by the author has to be his theory on learning to look past one’s deformities in order to enjoy sex.
- Dr. Paul Joannides is an acclaimed author, psychologist, sex peer professional among other titles. For this reason, I would trade places with him if asked to.
- The Dr involves his wife into editing his work. This shows how his personal values of being involved whether sexually or work wise influences his personal belief
- What influence does Dr. Paul Joannides have on the topic and how has he shaped its understanding? The fact that he is a board member of the American Journal of sexualities goes to show just how much impact the Dr has on the topic. Through his writing, the author has shaped the understanding of sex as a subject through introducing theories that everyone understood.