Vision: A healthy global society
Mission: Improve the health of the public and achieve equity in health status.
What we do: (Functions)
The American Public Health Association (APHA) is one of the oldest and most diverse organizations in the professional public health field. Established in 1872, the organization has worked relentlessly to improve public health in America. APHA aims to advance the general health of all American families and communities. The organization is at the forefront of initiating efforts aimed at progressing the prevention as well as the reduction of health disparities among the American public. It does this through the creation of a public health collective voice, working to make sure that health care is easily accessible to all citizens, protecting the funding accorded to core health services amongst other functions. APHA also reinforces the impact and roles of professionals in the public field (APHA 2013).
Why should you join the organization? (Potential advantages)
There are a number of benefits that you are bound to gain by joining our organization including:
- Access to The Nations Health and the American Journal of Public Health, tow of the leading medical journals in the United States that contain a lot of scientific research reports as well as news on current medical events.
- Public health advocacy in local and federal campaigns
- Professional career development through the APHA’s Career Development Centre as well as the Public Health Career Mart.
- Membership into 2 professional communities that are based on your specific area of interest in the public health field.
- Registration and attendance discounts to the Annual Meeting and Exposition, the world’s most renowned public health event.
Membership into APHA is open to all registered public health professionals, other career workers in the professional health field as well as all other persons with an interest in public health. Membership is divided onto several categories that include regular, retired student and early career professional (APHA 2013).
APHA has been endorsed by several organizations as well individuals as the leading organization of public health professionals. It has been recognized for its relentless effort in the promotion of public health by renowned health organizations such as WHO, the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, the American College Health Association, the American Health Association, and the American Psychology Association amongst others.
APHA will host a health conference on 11th November 2013 at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda, Maryland. The event will focus on four primary health aspects: nutrition, food, physical activity and cancer. The event will also serve as a platform to welcome all new members who have recently joined the organization. Make a point of availing yourself.
800 I Street, NW
Washington DC 20001
Fax Number (202) 777- 2534
APHA: American Public Health Association. (2013). Retrieved October 27, 2013, from http://www.apha.org/