General Purpose: To inform.
Specific Purpose: To inform the students about the reasons behind why it is necessary to lower drinking age.
Thematic Statement: I will inform the class about the reasons for lowering drinking age from 21 to 18.
Introduction: Hi, My name is [name].
- Attention: So, how many of you know about the legal drinking age? Ever wondered if you may have been drinking illegally?
- Audience connect/credibility: Who here thinks that drinking age should not be 21, and it must be less? I know it is not hard to find students here who also have the same opinion. After studying this issue, I found many reasons on the basis of which I started to think that legal drinking age must be lowered.
- Thematic Statement: So, today I have planned to share some of the reasons to support my point of views which are non-productivity of increased legal age and adulthood.
- Central point: Increasing drinking age to 21 is not productive, and it has no effect on alcohol abuse in young people.
- Support Material: In France, Spain and Argentina, the drinking age is 18, and there is less alcohol abuse among young people. Young people in these countries learn how to drink within families and in Portugal and New Zealand no legal drinking age is required by law.
- Support Material: it is evident from research that restricting access to alcohol does not decrease alcohol consumption in young people, and it serves as a ‘forbidden fruit’ that attracts young people.
- Support Material: A study was performed on the effects of increased drinking age in Ontario. It was found that there is the minimum effect of the increase of legal age on alcohol consumption among 18-19 years old students.
(Transition/ Signpost): We have talked about increased drinking age has no effect on alcohol consumption so let’s discuss adulthood and its rights.
- Main Point:18 years is the age of adulthood in United States, so young people at the age of 18 must be allowed to drink.
- Support Material: 18 years old young people in USA have the right to vote and can get a job in military.
- Support Material:18 years old has the right to serve on juries, can smoke, get married and sign contracts.
- Support Material: if 18 years old can make an important decision to select president of USA then he also must have the right to purchase and drink alcohol.
(Transition/Signpost): Now we have discussed the reasons now move on to the conclusion.
Conclusion: In the conclusion, as we have discussed why drinking age should be lowered. We have seen there is no significant impact of increasing drinking age on young people’s alcohol consumption. And 18 year is the age of adulthood, so there is no sense of restricting young people of this age to use alcohol. Now, I hope you all have a better idea about the need of lowering drinking age. Thank you.