1. What is my persuasive speech topic?
Persuasive Speech Topic: Why Abortion should not be legalized?
2. What are key audience attitudes toward your speech topic? That is, what are their likes and dislikes?
Abortion is one controversial issue that is debated in most countries on whether to legalize abortion or not. However, the key attitudes of the audience towards the issue may differ due to their likes and dislike. Due to culture different, some people are the opinion that abortion should be legalized while others may be against the idea.
b. What are audience beliefs (what they perceive as true or false) about your topic and the issues? What are the audience's core values (what they perceive as right or wrong, good or bad)?
The audience beliefs as said earlier differ with individual and culture. People against abortion will perceive my persuasive speech as being true while those for the argument that abortion should be legalized will perceive my persuasive speech on not legalizing abortion as being false. The audience belief on abortion will raise different on the merits and demerits of abortion depending on the side of view of every audience. The audience core values on the right and wrong or good or bad about abortion will focus on personal view of the topic. It will be wrong/bad to abort for an individual against abortion while it will be good/right to abort for an individual debating for abortion.
3. State the specific purpose of your persuasive speech: At the end of my speech, the audience should be able to. ...
The specific purpose of this persuasive essay is to influence the audience on the soundness of my argument not to legalize abortion. This is meant to sway the audience into taking into consideration of all the reasons hence altering their views. In addition, it also serves the purpose of prompting the audience to contemplate different factors/ reasons against legalizing for abortion which I had not though out in my speech. At the end of the speech, the audience should be able to side with my view point on abortion issue and change their ideas concerning legalizing abortion.
4. State the central idea of your speech, a one-sentence summary of your message.
The central idea of this paper is that: abortion is considered akin to murder since its takes away human life, hence any act leading to abortion should not be legalized.
5. Determine if your central idea is a proposition of fact, value, or policy. ^- It's a statement of fact if you are trying to prove that something is true or false or that something did or did not happen. (Hint: A proposition of fact is supported with evidence that something did or did not occur.)
My central idea is a proposition of fact as well as a proposition of value. It is propositions of fact because; in all aspect or despite any argument for legalizing abortion, it will remain true that abortion as a termination of pregnancy leads to removal of fetus which would have been born hence killing the unborn human being. On the other hand, it’s a proposition of value in that, despite it being a fact that abortion is like murder, my central idea aims at helping the audience see the wrongness is committing abortion to the unborn child.
6. How can you motivate your listeners to change or reinforce their attitudes, beliefs, values, or behavior? ""?- Can you create dissonance? <""? What specific audience needs can you address? "?- How can you use positive motivation? ""? How can you ethically use fear appeals or negative motivation?
I would motivate listeners to change their attitudes by giving several real life examples of disadvantaged individuals who committed abortion and its consequences. I would avoid creating dissonance to avoid conflicts during the speech. Some of the specific audience needs during the speech would include; reasons against the topic as well as sufficient examples on why not to legalize abortion. I would use positive motivation by giving the audience some of the positive reasons of having the baby other than aborting it. This will serve as a positive motivation for not aborting and hence supporting illegalizing of abortion. On the other hand, would use fear appeal by giving audience of negative examples on why illegalizing abortion is recommended. Real examples will motivate audience on the negatives of abortion.
Devanny, Joe. Abortion. 14 Nov. 2011.web 2000.