It is possible to open Word in the following ways:
- Through the start button
- Click the Start button
- If there has been previous opening of a word document lately, the Microsoft Word icon appears on the list of Start menu. Click on the Word icon to launch a Word document.
- If there are no recent openings of word files, the Word icon might not appear. In such a case, click on All Programs, Navigate to Microsoft Office option and click on Microsoft Office Word 2007 from the list of Microsoft Office applications.
- Using Word shortcut on the desktop
- Double-Click on the Word icon on the desktop to launch the document
- Alternatively, Right-Click on the icon and select Open. It also launches the Word document.
Fonts represent the text style. The letters below indicate different fonts:
The default Font type with Microsoft Word 2007 and later is Calibri. To change the text font properties in a word document, proceed as follows:
- Perform a selection of the text.
- Navigate to the Font panel on the Home tab at the top’s Microsoft Word ribbon.
- Choose the font attributes such as Font Type, Size and Color from the drop-down list
Important: Remember to save your work after making changes.
Grammar check and Spell Check
Word supports the functionality of checking and correcting grammatical errors even as you type. To check grammatical errors, one may proceed as follows:
- Long method
- On Microsoft word’s ribbon at the top, navigate to Review tab.
- Click on the Spelling and Grammar icon.
- The functionality checks for Spelling and Grammar mistakes and provides suggestions for correction. Click on Change or Ignore Once depending on whether you want to change or not.
- Short-cut method
With the Microsoft Word in view, press F7 button on the keyboard. It launches the Spelling and Grammar pop-up window same as above.
There are different forms of graphics on a Word document. These include; Pictures, Clip Arts, Shapes, Charts, Word Art and Drop Caps. All these forms of graphics appear on the Insert tab of Microsoft Word ribbon. To insert graphics, proceed as follows:
- Navigate to the Insert tab Left-Click on the graphic icon of your choice.
- For pictures, a window pops up where you select the location of the picture. Navigate to the drive containing the picture and Double-Click the picture.
- For Clip Arts, Shapes, Charts, Word Art and Drop Caps, pop-ups appear at designated areas of Microsoft Word.
- Several options exist for the different graphic types. Click on the most preferred.
- Use the Format to edit the graphics according to preferred options.
It is possible to open in the following ways:
- Through the start button
- Click the Start button
- In the event of a recent opening of an Excel document, a Microsoft Excel icon appears on the list of Start menu. Left-Click on the Excel icon to launch the Excel document.
- If the Excel icon is not among the Start menu shortcuts, click on All Programs, Navigate to Microsoft Office option and click on Microsoft Office Excel 2007 from the list of Microsoft Office applications.
- Using Excel shortcut on the desktop
- On the desktop, Double-Click on the Microsoft Excel icon to launch the document.
- Alternatively, Right-Click on the icon and select Open. It also launches the Excel document.
Spreadsheets are pages in excel that consist of row and columns that intersect to form cells. The columns have letter labels while the rows have numbers. Therefore, to reference a cell, you indicated the letter and number in that order. The diagrams below represent a spreadsheet highlighting cells C4.
- The text displays on the area labeled as you type. It comes in handy particularly when formatting text in an excel document.
Note: Excel aligns letters on the left and numbers on the right by default.
- On the Font area, use the options available to change attributes such as Type, Color, Size, Case, etc. Just like in Word, the default font is Calibri.
Important: Always remember to highlight text for changes to take place.
Excel also supports checking of spelling errors just like Word. To check and correct spelling errors, proceed as follows:
- On the Review tab, Left-Click the Spelling and Grammar icon.
- A pop-up window appears asking for whether you want to start checking at the beginning of the spreadsheet. Click Yes.
- In the event of spelling errors, Excel pops a window to correct or ignore the error.
- After completion, another window pops up confirming completion of Spelling checking.
Excel supports different forms of graphical displays such as pictures, Clip Arts, Shapes, and Charts. To insert graphics on the spreadsheet, proceed as follows:
- Navigate to the Insert tab of the Excel ribbon.
- Left click to select the desired graphic from the available options.
- The different types include pictures, Clip Arts, Shapes, and Charts. The Charts include different types such as Bar, Lines, Pies, and Scatter diagrams.
Important: You must highlight relevant data on a spreadsheet in order to represent it on charts.
Basic Accounting Functions
Excel support a number of functions including the SUM function. This function is used to compute the aggregate of data in selected cells. To compute the aggregate of three numbers using the SUM function, proceed as follows:
- Left-Click the cell on which the aggregate value should appear.
- On the formula bar, type = sign and type the word SUM. Excel displays a drop down list from its list of inbuilt functions.
- Type the symbol “(” and Left-Click the first number in the list of computation.
- Add a colon, Left-Click the last number in the list and close the bracket with “)” symbol.
- Hit the Enter button. The computed aggregate value appears on the cell previously selected.