Those basic considerations to take to mind when outsourcing information Technology include the following:
- The organisation outsourcing should clearly define and set goals relating to specific targets that the outsourced IT job should be fulfilled. Different companies have different reasons for partnering with another company in outsourcing deal. It is paramount that clearly defined priorities are rated in a scale of preference.
- It is also germane that a company knows its strength and weakness before entering into an outsourcing deal for IT services. During, negotiation this helps the organisation to know how to gain more from its strength and balance up for the shortfalls in its weaknesses.
- Knowing how best to communicate and market company’s decision to outsource is also very vital.
- Focusing on intangible benefits, other than cost is a way of getting best services in IT outsourcing. According to IT Business Edge (2010, pg 6) “outsourcing factory IT functions, such as help desk and desktop support, enables technology experts to sometimes focus on innovation and competition rather than concentrating on utility IT functions”.
- Effective management of relationship between the client and the company providing the outsourced services is very important.
IT functions that can be outsourced include: support desk, website updating, web administrative function, online editor, data base administrative, data warehousing, software application and upgrading functions, email handling, search engine optimization for website, among others.
An advantage of outsourcing IT functions enables management and organisation to focus on other vital innovative and developmental functions. The disadvantage may be that the company tend to incur more cost in its operations.
The disadvantage in no way stand against the decision to outsource; when experts are employed and they deliver effective results.
Cultural barrier may arise when offensive applications, e.g. erotic photographs, videos, tools are part of the tools for work with. If the service provider for instance is very religious or has a cultural background that abhors this, then there will be problem. However, this can be avoided through good communication and negotiation.
Information Technology Outsourcing : A Practitioner’s Perspective http://technologyoutsourcingblog.com/what-it-functions-to-outsource (25-9-13)
IT Business Edge (2010). “Six Key to Success factors for Outsourcing” Market Survey. http://itonews.eu/files/f1289395538.pdf (25-9-13)
Smuts, H., Van der Merwe, A., Kotze, P., & Loock, M. (201?). “Critical Success factors for Information Systems Outsourcing Management: A Software Development Lifecycle View” http://hufee.meraka.org.za/Hufeesite/staff/the-hufee-group/paula-kotze-1/SAICSIT%20Final%20Draft.pdf (25-9-13)