Group work is based on equal distribution by all members but this can only be possible if there is equitable allocation of the necessary information and opportunity. When this is achieved the group work will be termed as successful. The following are some of the guidelines, procedures and protocol for the quarter of the academic year.
Guidelines for all members
- The group is to be made up of strictly ten people who are expected to stick to it to the end. Once it has been formed no extra member will be allowed to join it and leaving will be based on special circumstances.
- The group will elect a leader on the first meeting and the leader will be expected to ensure coordination and communication within the group.
- Meetings will be held twice a week and every member will be expected to attend and participate in the meetings. Lack of attendance should be based on unavoidable circumstances.
- Each member will illustrate their capabilities in terms of the assignments given to the group and will be expected to research and complete the parts of the assignments allocated to them to the best of their capabilities.
- The objectives to be achieved by the group will be set by all members in the first meeting and in the last meeting the achievements will be compared with the set objectives. Steps to ensure that at the end will be put in place and will be clearly outlined.
- The person to be responsible for the implementation of the different steps will be informed; this will ensure accountability and responsibility.
Procedures for the meetings
- All meetings are to be scheduled during the weekdays. The time and the venue should be predetermined and communicated to all the members. The agenda will be communicated as well.
- The division of the assignment will be done by all the group members and each member will pick a part that they are well familiar with.
- One meeting will be for assignments while the other one will be to discuss the class work and to ensure all members are able to comprehend easily.
- All meetings will be started by analyzing the previous meeting and will end by AOB.
Protocol to be used for the group
Given the fact that the group is meant for academic purposes, then the objectives will be for mutual benefit due to association. Due to this fact every member will be expected to make a proper presentation of their findings on the topic they have chosen. The rest of the members will be expected to make corrections and questions during the presentation.
The group leader will ensure that all the required resources are made available to all the members. During the presentation intensive research should have been conducted from all academic sources and there should be enough references to act as back up for any conclusions and premises used.
Assignments should be done thoroughly and one member will be assigned the responsibility of compiling and ensuring it has continuity i.e. one person’s definitions and conclusions should easily flow into the other one’s. The person would then send a copy of the assignment to all members through their email and the necessary corrections will be made and once the final copy has been finished it should be submitted before the deadline for handing it in.
Criteria of analyzing the individual performance
The group leader will exercise the duty of analyzing the individual performance this will be by the use of a scale of 1 to 5. 1 will be poor while 5 will be excellent. The following will be the criteria to be used to analyze the members after several meetings.
Member’s Name 1. Attendance – (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
2. Punctuality – (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
3. Contribution to Discussions- (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
4. Proper Research of Assigned Topic – (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
5. Co-operation with group members – (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The group members will also be given a chance to also evaluate each other. The analysis will be based on the ability of the other group members to deliver in terms of content and organization during their presentations. The seriousness of the each member including the group leader will also form part of the analysis. The group member analysis will not be based on a scale because it is meant to be a corrective mechanism to aid in improvement.
The members will analyze each other immediately after the presentation and the analysis will be submitted to the group leader. The analysis will be given back to the member after all the presentations have been made.
The group leader will be evaluated in terms of the following by the other members:
- Equal treatment of all members – (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Effective and proper communication to all members- (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
- Facilitation in the achievement of the set objectives- (1, 2, 3, 4,5)
The best candidate as per the analysis should be awarded an extra mark as per the academics. This is meant to act as an incentive to all the other students. The best group is awarded the best marks in terms of dynamics, composition, coordination and the final work submitted.