For a person to make a business writing effectively and comprehensively, he/she must take into account some key elements that are required for business writing. The elements ensure that the business writing achieves all the goals that it was intended for while writing (MacLennan pg. 6-67). The business writing below in form of a memo illustrates these key elements for the writing:
Description of elements of effective business writing
The discussion below aims at highlighting the most important elements that are paramount for effective business writing. The elements that are stated must always be adhered to in writing of any business material.
- The main message of the business writing is place at the top left of the writing.
- The writing must be navigable in all cases, that is,
- Predict on how the document is organized
- Proper marking of the path by use of headings, subheadings, and use of bullets (Piotrowski pg. 8-74).
- The central message of the document should be made accessible by:
- Applying different emphasis techniques such as bold, italics, underlining, and use of different fonts among others.
- Be concise and to the point, do not give unnecessary information.
- Research on and understand your target audience, this will help in writing directing the message directly to the customers needed.
- Make the writing of the document very stylish and eye catching to the audience. Make optimum usage of words, and chose the appropriate words. Also, ensure that correct grammar and punctuation are used. The document should be proofread and edited before submitting it to the audience (Witt, pg. 12-46). The document should be formatted attractively.
MacLennan, Jennifer. Effective Business Writing. Scarborough, Ont: Prentice-Hall Canada, 2005. Print
Piotrowski, Maryann V. Effective Business Writing: Strategies and Suggestions. New York: Perennial Library, 2000. Print.
Witt, Graham C. Writing Effective Business Rules. S.l.: Morgan Kaufmann, 2011. Internet resource.