“Training and Monitoring.” Please respond to the following: Discuss the steps you would take to develop ethics training and communication at your current place of work (or school).Ethics are the culture in which people in a specific place practice while at work, relating to each other and even implementing ideas. Ethics not only define a person but an organization and they work well within always doing the right things the right way (Seeger, 1997). The following are some o the steps that can be taken to develop a good ethics and communication programme.
- The values and objectives of the organization should be at the heart of the ethics. This means that they should go hand in hand with the code of ethics.
- Top management and disciplinary team should be involved in the process. The sub-ordinates opinions should also be taken into account as they should be allowed to feel as part of the decision making process (May, 1997).
- The code of ethics should be clearly outlined and communicated to the people to avoid ignorance of its existence.
Communication is very important in any organization and can be made more effective through the following steps:
- Every individual should know who they report to this will be in the form of a bureaucratic form where a person has only one boss whom they report to.
- The communication channel should be clearly outlined, with the highest position having the final say in all matters to avoid disputes and misunderstandings by the people (May, 1997).
- In case of any misunderstandings the communication process should be outlined on whom the issue should be reported to and communicated to before it gets out of hand.
- Top management should encourage an open door policy that allows for the people to feel safe and secure as they address them about different issues in the organization.
Analyze your current work (or school) environment and determine how best to monitor and enforce ethical standards.
The current work environment has a good ethical standard that is based on fairness and to motivate people at all times to do the right thing (Seeger, 1997). This however is more of technical ethics than they are practical. On paper they are more real but they are hardly applied. There are several ways in which they can be improved for instance:
- The top management can start by becoming role models. This can be by leading through examples, they can apply the ethical conduct in their everyday management activities and this can make it easier for the people to follow suit.
- Incentives can be given to the people who practice ethics in their work for instance bonus and increase in payments or even a promotion.
- Each and every employee should be made aware of the benefits of the ethical standards, this can be in an effort to ensure that they understand the reason behind them and not just implementing something they don’t know (May, 1997). This can be done by holding seminars and conferences that have proper illustrations and allow for the employees to ask questions on the matter.
Seeger Wayne Matthew, (1997), Ethics and Organization Communication, Random House Publishers
May K. Steve, May Steve, (1997), Case Studies in Organizational Communication and Ethical Perspectives, University of Illinois Print Press, Illinois