The management in today’s world has started to rely heavily on soft skills. There are many issues related to human capital that demand the managers to possess soft skills. This paper entails domains and requirements of soft skills in management. Soft skills have vast implications on the overall business and profitability rate. Managers need to handle employees and customers in an efficient and effective manner so as to maximize the profitability. This paper limelight the various types of soft skills and these can be used to foster the progress and development in the corporate world. There are basically two categorically defined types of Skills: technical and soft. Technical set of skills are mostly task oriented and specific to a particular task or job whereas soft skills are not task specific they are generally applied to facilitate better management processes. Furthermore, this paper encompasses different types of soft skills like crisis management, emotional intelligence, strong communication abilities, ability to influence and motivate employees, ability to infuse leadership and likewise. Soft skills basically help a manager to become a supporter and facilitator for others and make them work with honesty and responsibility. In the last part of paper a thoughtful reflection has been given to evaluate the usefulness of soft skills at individual level and has elaborated how a person can revitalize his abilities and personality through enhancing his soft skills. This paper focuses on an important issue of management and hopefully it covers all the relevant areas related to this domain. Organizations can increase their profitability and brand image to manifolds by conducting proper training sessions for inducing soft skills in managers and front line human capital.
- Definition of the ‘problem’,
- Paper talks about the upcoming challenges for the managers and how soft skills can play a pivotal role to facilitate management in successfully handling the issues related to human resource and work flow. In today’s world work related skills are alone not sufficient to survive in competitive business environment therefore managers need to acquire addition set of soft skills to tackle new challenges.
- Brief Comparison between Soft Skills and Occupational Skills
- Paper sheds light on the difference between two major types of skills and defines areas of implications and impacts of both types .Further it has also been discussed in the paper that none of two types can stand alone .so to become a successful professional an individual should possess both as technical skills will help him to carry out his assigned job and soft skills will facilitate the smooth flow of work.
- Basic Soft Skills
- This part of paper gives an overview of the literature and highlights different types of skills and how each of these contributes in enhancing work performance and management processes. Management in all organizations irrespective of their size are facing new challenges and therefore new and improved soft skills are been used. Various management concepts, theories and models are been used to facilitate managers in order to equip them with required skills to be able to handle stress situations.
- Personal Evaluation
- Personal evaluation is all about analyzing own work performance and carefully identifying the areas which need improvement and counseling. A thoughtful evaluation can help a person to identify his training needs and later on training sessions can be designed accordingly so as to improve managerial nerves.
- It is the nutshell part of the paper and it highly emphasizes on the overall impact of soft skill development and its contribution in personal and organization progress.
Klaus, Peggy. The Hard Truth About Soft Skills: Soft Skills for Succeeding in a Hard Work. New York City: HarperCollins, 2009.
Kloppenborg, Timothy. Contemporary Project Management. Stamford: Cengage Learning, 2011.