Business: interview journal and report
The following journal for the interview contains the details of the interviewed person and the ten questions that were addressed during the interview.
Time of interview
- Tell me about the culture of this organization
The company is comprised of high achievers who are motivated towards achieving the success of the company and delivering innovative products to our customers. We maintain a disciplined approach in business to enable us provide create security for our stakeholders. As a company, we believe that integrity and mutual respect is the key to a long-term and fulfilling relationship with all our stakeholders.
- What do you look for in a candidate?
I look or a candidate who is highly motivated and always ready to learn. The candidate has to portray a good character and attitude towards their responsibility. Apart from all these, the candidate must be a team player because we operate as a team.
- What does career progression look like within the business line for which you are hiring?
The career progress in any department in this company will depend entirely on the effort of the person the candidate in question. The more the employee portrays interest, hard work and delivery in their job, the more they are legible for any promotion in their line of business.
- What has been your experience working for this company?
My experience has been great. Through my positions in the company have learned a lot and achieved many goals. Sometimes business has been tough but we have sailed through to still remain relevant and successful in the industry. This has taught me to be hard working, committed and to always have objectives in my work.
- Does the company give an orientation program upon selection? For how long?
Yes. The company offers orientation programs for our new employees in their various lines of business and department. The orientation is carried out for eight weeks that is for two months since the day the employee reports for work. After this, the orientation program ceases.
- What is your job description and responsibilities?
I am the human resources manager in the company. My job is to ensure that all departments in the company have enough workforces that is efficient and can deliver. It is also my responsibility to ensure that any job advertisements are placed at the right time and in the right manner. Through this, the company has the best employees and the required manpower to achieve its success and deliver the best to its customers.
- How does the company advertise job positions?
When there are any job opportunities, the company advertises through the media, mostly through the newspapers. The position and the responsibilities that go along with the position are also detailed in the advertisement. I also ensure that the position that is being advertised goes along with the qualifications that the candidate must have so as to secure the position. The position is advertised for a week in various national newspapers to ensure that anybody legible gets a chance to apply for the position.
- Is there a complaint system? How do you deal with it?
Yes, the company has a complaint system. We understand that the employees might face troubles within the workplace. Due to this, we have ensured there is a suggestions and complaint box where they can air their grievances. Through this, we ensure that every employee in our company is happy in their line of business or their departments. It is very important for employees to be happy and comfortable in their work and through this, the company can achieve its success.
Job description: Accountant
The purpose of this job is to ensure that the candidate provides financial information to management by researching and analyzing data that concerns and relates to accounting. The candidate will also be in charge or preparing reports. The duties of the accountant will include;
- Preparing assets, liabilities and capital account entries of the company by compiling and analyzing account information
- Document financial transactions by entering financial information
- Recommend financial actions through analyzing accounting options
- Summarize current financial reports and status through collection of the necessary information; should prepare statement of financial position, income statement and any other financial reports that are necessary.
- Maintain accounting control through preparation and recommendation of the right policies and procedures.
- Audit all financial documents to substantiate financial transactions.
- Should guide clerical staff and other staff members in the accounts division by coordinating their activities and answering their questions whenever they have any
- Do account reconciliations when there are discrepancies in the accounts through collecting and analyzing account information.
- Should ensure that the financial information of the company is secured through completion of data base backup
- Should maintain financial security through following the internal controls of the company
- Should prepare payments through verification of documents and requesting disbursements
- Should answer any questions relating to the accounting procedures by researching and interpreting available regulations and policies
- Comply with the federal, state and local financial legal requirements by studying new and existing legislations. Should enforce adherence to requirements of the acting division, and advice the management on the actions that should be taken
- Prepare special financial reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing accounting data and the trends of the company
- Should maintain customer confidence and protect the operations of the company by keeping the financial records of the company confidential.
- Should maintain professional and technical knowledge through attending workshops that are educations and in line with their department or division; should review professional publications, establish professional networks and participate in professional societies
- Should contribute to the efforts of the team by accomplishing related results as required
- Holder of a bachelor’s degree in accounting, financing or any related course
- Has more than five years of experience in accounting department and methods
- Good and efficient reporting skills
- Pays attention to instructions and responsibilities
- Deadline oriented
- Should be in a position to report research results efficiently
- Can follow SFAS rules
- Can maintain confidentiality
- Can manage time well
- Efficient in data entry management
- Has a general mathematics skill
- A holder of ACCA or any other accounting professional skill will be an added advantage
- Tell me more about yourself?
This question is directed towards the candidate so as to enable the manager find out whether the candidate knows what he or is all about especially in relation to the post or the position he or she is looking for. A good candidate should be able to define their career experiences and life experiences that can contribute to their strengths for the job position.
- What are your biggest strengths?
The questions should help the managers understand the strengths and weaknesses of the candidate. Such information is vital in understanding the performance level of the candidate in question. With such information, it will be possible for the managers to decide whether the candidate can handle the position or not. It can be done through measuring the strengths and the limits of the candidate with the responsibilities that they will have once the job has been offered to them.
- Why did you leave your last job?
The question should shed some light on whether the employee was hard-working or incompetent in their previous job positions. People leave their job positions for various reasons; they can be fired due to incompetence or misbehaving at the workplace, failure to deliver, they can be laid off especially if the company is going through some financial crises or up grading and they need to get rid of some employees. It is very important for the managers to be aware that the employee was not responsible in any way for leaving their previous positions. Employees that have left to look for greener pastures or to upgrade on their career life portray strength and efficiency and determination compared to those that were fired for failing to deliver.
- What are your career goals?
The above question helps in determining the future goals and dreams of the candidate. The goals that one has set for their career determines their hard work and the achievements they have made so far. These goals can also be used to determine whether the candidate is serious concerning the job position or whether they are not serious. It also helps in determining whether the candidate can deliver and fulfill all the responsibilities that are required for the particular position.
- Why do you want to work here?
This questions show whether the candidate is fully aware of the culture of the organization they want to work for. When someone is interested in a certain organization, they must be aware of the culture of the organization. Showing interest in the organization that one wants to work for shows that one is interested in the position they are interviewing for.
- What is your greatest weakness?
The above question helps in showing the limitations of the candidate. Everyone has their strengths; things that help them to deliver and to keep working no matter what. On the other hand, there are things that could contribute to the failures of the individual. These factors or weaknesses should be considered by the management so as to ensure they do not interfere with the delivery of the required responsibilities. The management has to ensure any candidate that is considered for the job position can deliver and perform their work efficiently.
- What do co-workers say about you?
The above question helps the managers to determine whether the candidate is a team player. In any given organization, it is very important for the employees and the management to work hand-in-hand to ensure the success of the company is achieved. When employees work and reason together, the company runs smoothly and there is room for better innovation and better delivery. The management thus asks this question to understand whether the candidate cooperates with co-workers or not. It is very important for the management to ensure that they get an employee that can work with the rest of the employees’ without any hiccups.
- What do you know about our organization?
This question helps in showing whether the candidate has gone the extra mile of getting to know about the organization; in terms of the products or services, the schemes in place, the objectives of the company, the principles, the mission statement and the vision statement among many other questions. If the candidate has no idea on the organization information, it shows that they are not interested in the company.
- What kind of salary are you looking for?
This shows whether the candidate is over ambitious or under ambitious. The ambition of the candidate can also be used to determine if they are in the job just for the money or to work and deliver what is needed of them. Candidates that are under ambitious can be termed as not being aggressive enough for the job position.
- Do you have any questions?
This question determines whether the candidate has really understood the nature of the company and the job position they are interviewing for. It is always good for the candidate to ask questions as it shows their interest in the job position and the company in general