The remote jack unit failure creates a major problem since 2009. The problem due to the following reasons 1. Pin break 2. Audio loss and Mono audio 3. Ring missing issue. These problems being a major problem in the top management and there also refer the poor performance with low reliability RJU. The further improvement in the RJU still shows no improvement in the issue. The issue discussed with the technical engineers to conclude that the design is still a major problem. The RJU places the major factor in passengers report about the RJU design, location, and shape. The high removal and lack of repair options are also considered. The technical defect refers that loss of audio due to the stress damages to audio jack. Mono audio refer to hear only in one side of ear and it also refer the same problem like audio loss. The next major issue refers the pin breaking issue and ring missing. The pin inside the headset breaks and doesn’t allow another to insert. The pin in K series shows that the jamming of pin and PCB board which is most critical or unserviceable to remove and need to replace the whole system. The jamming doesn’t allow another pin to insert. The major defect is the design flaw. The new design allows another pin to insert and function with a serviceable design. The most headset jack lost the ring during the normal use. It gets loose easily and the most replacing and removing in the RJU problem is ring loose problem.
The removal rate is high since 2009 and the ring removal lead to the problem in jack damage and poor audio quality problem. The metal ring in jack not attached securely and the problem arises during repeated insertion that leads to audio failure. The PACRJU manufacturing problem arises due to not following of the original design purpose. The Emirates reject the supply of Panasonic that to replace the silver ring with the glue based adhesive for the better design. The jack materials are capable to handle low stress. These problem noted in RDAX6421-12, RDAX6430-51, RDAX6436-15, RDNA1010-19, RDFA6293-09, and RDFA6136-01. The cost of part number is directly proportional to the time and the removal of these parts is still high in ascending order. The reasons cost of maintenance getting higher and it impact mainly in the demand forecasting. The RJU’s supplement also difficult from you some times and the abnormal replacement also happen with no other choice and the RJU places a major role in the budget. The statistics of RJU failure in RDNA1010-19 & PN RDAX6421-12 data is shown here.
The percentage of removal in the RDNA1010-19 due to
52.75% by missing rings
23.25% by no or mono audio
20.5% by pin failure
3.86% by other
The failure in RDAX6421-12 percentage:
60% by no or mono audio failure
22.31% by missing rings
12.29% by pin breaking and
5.39% by other
As by the OSAKA investigation: the 18% of goods only have average life span of 30 months and the remaining 82% good only for 28 months. The short life span due to headphone plugs and also causes noise or no audio. The contact between the ground terminal and the headset plug is the major failure during the investigation. The plastic housing seems to deform with the ground terminal.
The silver ring design case shows only the minimal reduction in the replacement of RJU. The replacement of the adhesives instead of replacing the whole RJU not shows a reasonable improvement in the manufacturing process. The complaints and reports reduces only when improvement in the RJU design with tight rings. That doesn’t still compensate the paid and purchasing RJU’s.
The pin power shortage issue shows a significant number in removal and replacement of PN RDNA1010-19 & 515 of PN RDAX6421-12. The pin blocking also in the RJU new design still happens. The pin still gets struck and causes the reboot problem. The pin breaking issue also knew the defect in design shown in various times. The PCB with the broken pin through the audio ports also a serious problem that has to take in the replacement of whole module. The report states the major problem only in the initial stage of the design and the pre module. The whole process describes the initial stage design changes. The new design also to keep in mind about the RJU pin breaking and that should in industrial standard. Then all the audio jacks design have to keep in mind about the breaking problem and it doesn’t consider about the stronger pin. The extension facilities also needed during the pin struck inside. The external cleaning and servicing options also need to consider during the design process there should be no mismatching in the design is not allowed and also a logical design is required in the process.
Overall strength of a Jack and its attachments shows:
- 3/27/14: no report received from PAC Osaka
- 4/1/14; issue escalated within PAC. Report must be shared before 7th APR 14
- 4/8/2014: Pac to provide the report by the end of this week, otherwise Emirates will escalate the issue to PAC top management via EK EVP.
- PAC provided a summary of the findings on another sample of 150 RJUs. Report to be shared with EK as well with findings.
- 4/16/14: PAC has not provided an analysis report yet. PAC confirmed that the report will be shared as soon as a solution is developed. PAC confirmed that the solution is currently being developed with the jack supplier. Emirates will escalate the issue internally. In the mean time, Emirates wants an email with a statement from PAC on whether we have a design deficiency or not.
- Samples tested to be sent to PAC for Phitek evaluation, target date to be provided by PAC by 16/4/14.
- PAC needs to evaluate a way to remove the broken power pin.
- PAC to review if there is an RJU that will allow broken power pin to be extracted, or remain inside.
- Emirates to check with headset vendor to strengthen the power pin if possible.
- Emirates does’t wants to have symptoms caused by broken pins.
- Position on Reparability for RJU is still awaited from PAC; EK prefers to not open up any RJU's onboard. PAC states RJU breakdown is available in CMM.
- 4/16/14: Emirates confirmed the power pins on headsets were strengthened along with the audio pins. PAC will be verifying the headset power pin strength separately.
- Emirates stated that the RJU has a design deficiency by having the power jack end plate break when applying force leaving it beyond repair and/ or not allowing for a coupled.
- Reparability: PAC to come back to Emirates with a status.