Who Am I?
1. A man 6. A connoisseur of good food
2. A messenger of god 7. A writer
3. A fighter 8. A singer
4. A philosopher 9. A student of life
5. A lover 10. A manager
What turns me on about each of these?
- Helping others, making the most of this life, fulfilling the purpose of my existence, living life to the fullest.
- Spreading God’s messages, praying to god, believing in the almighty.
- Try to have a new perspective to life, looking at things in a different way and to have an open mind.
- Love my near and dear ones, parents, friends, siblings.
- Trying different cuisines of the world, variety, spice, hot, aroma and taste.
- Soulful, expressing my emotions, soothing, tunes, lively and bringing back old memories.
- Learning constantly, defeats and wins, maturity, success.
- Management, work, responsibilities, co-ordination, accuracy, timelines and planning.
Any common denominators?
I must think and care about others, I must try to empathize with people, understanding their perspectives, coping up with difficult times and learning from my mistakes, changing people’s life by contributing something, appreciating others, enjoy doing something I love, trying to see things from a different view-point, trying to find satisfaction in whatever I do, appreciating what I have and trying to get more by putting best possible efforts, always believing that someone out there is watching over me, appreciating small things in life, being responsible towards others and caring for people who love me and whom I love. The most important thing which is common is the ability to make my life meaningful. There is a lot of difference between existing and living. I want to live my life to the fullest and achieve greater heights of success.
What must my career use (and include) for me to be truly happy, useful, and effective?
There are many aspects that I can include in my career to be truly happy, useful and effective. Some of those things are: Empathizing with others and understanding their point of views, trying to understand that sometimes it is better to retreat when tides are high, to learn from difficult times and keep moving forward, to make a mark in this world through my work, to be a good person and to work hard by giving my best. I also want to include the virtue of forgiving people who have hurt me in the past and focus on building my future. I want to remain optimistic because having an optimistic approach to life solves half of our problems. I want to give 100 % to whatever I do because there is no point in doing anything half-hearted. I want my faith in god to grow stronger and better because when I will have faith in God, I will have faith in people. I want to come out of my comfort zone and explore new things, who knows, it might turn out to be better than the present ones. In order to have a great and a bright career, the most important thing that must be included is the ability to connect with people around you and understand their aspirations and goals.
This exercise is adapted from What Color is Your Parachute?, Richard Bolles, 2008.