1. Since it costs $65,000 per person in 1996 to join as participants, it is essential to be a wealthy man. In addition, other participants are the guides (sherpa), paying climbers, tour professionals, media, etc.
2. Ethically, participants are selected on the basis of their suitability and past experience. Especially, those who paid previously but could not reach the summit for health or weather conditions.
3. The basic costs of the climb would include setting camps and equipments on each level and a ground base for communication. In addition, costs will include the equipments such as ropes, oxygen, climbing gear, harnesses, packs, etc. All these costs are to be borne by the guide and as per inflation from 1996 when Rob Hall charged US$65,000 per person; the charge would be around US$98,000-100,000 in 2016.
4. Climbers can face psychological, physical, weather and motivational challenges to complete the climb.5. Weather conditions, health of the climbers and availability of basic climbing necessities are needed to give a go ahead to climb.
6. Teamwork is essential for climbing and it is important that no one leaves the group in between the climb.
7. The main decisions are related to the suitability of weather conditions, health of climbers, and availability of necessary climbing facilities.
8. Conflict during the climb can be sorted by the guides sharing their opinion on the issue and the team voting on their choice.
9. Team goals would include ensuring the safety of climbing team, ensuring everyone reaches the summit and maximum utilization of climbing resources.
10. Individual members who have paid mostly would like to reach the summit and return healthy. Guides would be focused on ensuring the goals of the members are achieved.
11. Team goals precede individual goals, as an individual can being the safety of the whole team under threat.
12. Communication and decision making errors can lead a communication breakdown and possibly fatal consequences of team members.
13. Guides have previous experience and knowledge to make decisions for all team members.
14. Leaders who give priority to the health and safety of the team members by taking a pragmatic but goal oriented approach would do better than a daredevil attitude and risk-taking leaders who are willing to risk life and safety for ambition.
Everest. Dir. B Kormákur. Perf. Jason Clarke, Josh Brolin, Keira Knightley, Sam Worthington & Jake Gyllenhaal. 2015. Universal Pictures, 2015. Film.