This refers to the preliminary investigation to be conducted by the analysis team for the Ipad Rollout Project of your organization. To be unable to know the scope and limitations of the project, as well as the interventions to be made, a background investigation to determine the applicability of the project and its specifications is needed.
In this regard, the project management team would like to request access to your company’s Annual Reports, teacher and student profiles, organizational structure, policies and any other documents that may help the team determine the applicability and scope and limitations of the project. Likewise, may we also seek permission to interview some of your staff specially the IT staff and the teachers.
The personnel that I would like to interview include the principal, Mr. Joe Bloggs. I would interview him to get the feeling of the overall project for the whole college. This is because he interacts with the board of directors. I would like to know if the whole project is supported by eth senior management. I would also like to interview eh teachers. This is because I would get to know the way the learning process will be affected by the rollout of the project. They are the ones who will interact with the overall system. The other staff that would be of importance in the interview is IT staff. This is because they understand the integration process of the project. They understand the technical aspects of the rollout. The last staff I would like to interview would be the accounts staff to get a feeling of the availability of the finances for the project.
The objectives of the college align with the project. One of the objectives is to enhance the environment so that it supports learning and working. The project will ensure that this is achieved in the overall outcomes of the project. The learning of the students will be enhanced with the use of iPads. Another objective is to increase the teacher impact on students. With this project, there will be increased participation and communication of the students and their teachers. It also meets the teaching and learning objectives. This is because the students will enhance their learning aspects.
We want the initial roll-out for the first 3 months of the semester and the total implementation by the 2nd semester
- Do you think the teachers and students are susceptible to the changes to be made by the project?
The implementation maybe challenging in the first place but we will be able to cope up because we want our students, teachers and employees to be empowered.
- Who will be involved in the project?
Basically, the beneficiaries of this project will be the students, teachers and the administrative employees. However, the IT department will be in charge of this implementation, especially with regards to the network and software implementations
- Will the administrative staff and teachers be given Ipad too or the students only?
We plan to give every students, teacher and personnel with iPad because we are foreseeing that this iPads will become a major part of their day-to-day lives with the school.
- How much budget are you willing to spend for the project?
We are willing to give the best to our employees because we believe that the return investment will be better. Initially, we have $50,000 for the project but if need be we add to that.
- Do you think giving the students Wi-Fi will not distract their classes?
It might, but with proper guidance, this will be a helpful tool for their studies.
- What sample applications will the students need?
Educational games, activities and research applications can be placed in the iPads of the students. Likewise, customized software instructional materials should also be placed in the iPads of those concerned.
- Are you interested in the owning an Ipad and using it in the classroom?
Interview Summary Report
The IpadRollOut project is highly supported by the management of Solomon School. They are willing to spend for the success of the project. Basically, the IT department of the school will be the overall in charge of the project.
The teachers are well acquainted with new technologies as they have been creating their own instructional materials and have given students with softcopies before so adjustment should not be a problem.
The management needs to train the students and make them understand that the project is basically to be used as a learning tool and not for internet surfing and social networking as these are their perception on the uses of iPads.
The school management is forseeing that iPads will be an influential part of the schools day to day activities so software to be installed in each iPad must be controlled so as not to jeopardize the security of the school’s data.
Preliminary Investigation Report
Preliminary Investigation Report: SWL Payroll System October 10, 2011
The undersigned completed the preliminary investigation report for the project Ipad Rollout project of the Solomon School on June 4, 2013.
Systems Request Summary
The management of the Solomon College is keen on implementing an iPad Rollout project to have a pilot testing for 1500 students and a total rollout for all of its students, teachers and administrators. However, they are concerned with the reliability of the wireless service they have. Particularly, they are looking for recommendations with regards to the following:
- Do we need to upgrade to 802.11n to achieve what we're hoping to
achieve with the iPad rollout program?
- How do we increase the coverage of the wireless network?
- How do we deploy software on the iPads?
- How do we maintain a standard set of apps?
- How do we update the apps?
- What about training?
Preliminary Investigation Findings
- Less than 50% of the students, administrators and teachers are already using iPads
- The IT team is responsible for every software update and maintenance in each of the campuses. There is an IT staff in each campus
- Students don’t know the capability of iPads to be an educational tool
- Based on the income statement of the school, they are capable of maintaining and pushing through with the project
- The project is aligned with the targets of the school
- The school is currently using a 802.11 Wi-Fi network access which will not be capable of supporting all the 5,000 plus iPads that needs to be connected
- An upgrade to the existing wireless network must be made which has a wider coverage so that everyone could be able to gain access.
- The IT staff will be the one responsible for giving permissions in deploying software. However, due to the number of iPads, the respective teachers of the students will be trained and be the one to have direct control over the deployment of software.
- Authority to update of apps must come for the IT department
- Trainings must be conducted before the iPad rollout
Interview with two personnel in the Organizational Chart
- Do you think the school will be capable of providing the bandwidth required of the iPad roll-out project?
The current set-up of the Wi-Fi connection of the school is not capable of supporting the bandwidth requirement of the project. An upgrade must be done to be able to utilize fully the benefits of the project of which one is mobility and reliability.
- What do you predict are the possible problems in implementing the project?
Aside from the bandwidth requirement, possible problems that may arise are improper usage of the iPads or unauthorized installation of software that may affect the units or the unique programs installed.
- Do you think the project is timely or it can wait some other time?
Yes, the project is very timely because this can boost the morale of not only the students and teachers but also the administration. However, proper implementation must be observed to be able to meet the objectives of the project.
- Does the planned units capable of handling future application needed?
I cannot exactly say that they will be capable of handling all the future needs and capacity requirement because as we can observe, technology is very fast-paced but I am assuming that these units are compatible with future software adjustments for the next 3 years.
Interview No. 2: Teacher
Yes, I am glad that the school management is looking towards empowering both the teachers and students with regards to the use of modern educational tools. With a little training, I know the students will be ready for this shift. This may be hard for both student and teachers in the first few months but I believe they will realize its advantages in the next couple of months.
- What non-functional requirements must be ensured while implementing the project?
First, security must be ensured not only to maintain the integrity of data. A management plan and policy on its usage, serviceability and availability must be laid out so the users will be guided on what they can or not do with the iPads.
- What can you foresee as a possible problem in implementing the project?
First, teachers may not be patient in utilizing the iPads for instruction. On the other hand, students may get distracted in their studies if they are into social networking and other activities not relevant to their lessons. Therefore, limitations and restrictions on what the student can and cannot access must also be laid out properly.
Gordon, Jay, n.d. Tips for Effectively Deploying and Managing the iPad. [Accessed from http://newsletter.enterprisemobile.com/u/Enterprise-Mobile/2ffiyQMWGjKkUJN/423320/Feature-Landing-Tips-for-Effectively-Deploying-and-Managing-the-iPad-.htm]
Guernsey, Lisa, 2013. The Smart Way to Use iPads in the Classroom. [Accessed from http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2013/04/ipads_in_the_classroom_the_right_way_to_use_them_demonstrated_by_a_swiss.html?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=sm&utm_campaign=button_chunky]
Heick, Terry, 2012. 10 Important Questions To Ask Yourself Before Deploying iPads. [Accessed from http://www.teachthought.com/teaching/10-questions-to-ask-yourself-before-deploying-ipads/]
Kendall, K & Kendall, J, 2011. System Analysis and Design. Pearson Education Inc., New Jersey.
McCrea, Bridget, 2013. 5 Things not to do During an Ipad Rollout. Accessed from http://thejournal.com/articles/2012/07/25/5-things-not-to-do-during-an-ipad-rollout.aspx]
Shelly, G. & Rosenblat, H., 2012. Systems Analysis and Design. Course Technology. Boston, USA.