- Explain in your own words what you understand Sternheimer to mean by the term “folk devils”. She suggests, “video games, those who play them, and those who create them have become contemporary folk devils” (paragraph 4). Can you give examples of such “folk devils?”
Sternheimer uses the term “folk devils” to represent the people who involve themselves in the act of introducing bad effects to the society. In this case, the folk devils are the people who create, the video games and those who play them are the “folk devils”. Examples of folk devils include the youth playing the teens playing the video games and john D. Carmack the programmer of the doom video game.
- What criticisms of media-effects research does Sternheimer make? What do you think of her rationale for those criticisms?
Sternheimer alleges criticizes the fact that media violence causes aggressive behavior. Sternheimer does not agree that media violence causes aggressive behavior. She says that there is no direct link to associate media violence and aggressive behavior; the two are coincidental. Aggressive people may want aggressive entertainment and resort to violent video games. Her criticisms are true because even research findings conducted indicate inconsistency and some even contradict.
- Discuss the factors besides video games that may account for aggressive behavior in teenagers, according to Sternheimer.
Family violence, poverty, unemployment and neighborhood instability are some of the factors that cause aggressive behavior in teenagers (Ackley, pg. 216). Unemployment may lead the teens to aggressive behavior because they look for something to help them meet their needs. The neighborhood determines the type of friends they have. The neighborhood that has many gangs has an impact on teens. Poverty is another key issue that contributes to violence. Teenagers from poverty-stricken places are likely to engage in poverty than teenagers from rich families.
- What point does Sternheimer make about poor males of color who get in trouble with law vs. white middle class males who kill? Do your own observations confirm or contradict her viewpoint?
Sternheimer makes a point on African American boys that they are dangerous people while the white –middle class do not get harsh punishments because they are easily affected by video games. I agree with Sternheimer because the numbers of African-American juveniles is high.
- Analyze the structure of Sternheimer`s argument. What is her thesis? Where does she make concessions? What evidence does she supply? How convinced are you by her evidence?
Sternheimer presents her arguments by giving facts. She supplies he evidence from courts, news reports and research from various people. Her thesis is that video game does not cause violence and aggression. The evidence that Sternheimer gives fully convinces me that video games does not cause violence.
Works CitedTop of Form
Ackley, Katherine A. Perspectives on Contemporary Issues: Readings across the Disciplines. Boston, MA: Cengage Wadsworth, 2010. Print.