Information security continues to be a serious threat to many organizations (Whitman & Mattord, 2011). ABC, Inc. is one such organization facing serious information security threats. Nonetheless, enhancing information security within organizations is attainable. Different measures prove to be fundamental in enhancing the information security. The main measures that ABC, Inc. needs to put in place to enhance its information security include:
- Implementing a mechanism that will record event data on the folders for each department such as Records Repository or Records Object Store (ROS) (Siponen & Willison, 2009).
- Implement antivirus software in order to prevent any viral attack especially from external networks.
- Monitor security alerts in a bid to effectively resolve security issues.
In order to effectively and efficiently incorporate the above actions, a plan for their implementation is needed. The plan included:
- Identification the mechanisms and antivirus software
- Comparing the total costs of implementation against the assigned budget
- Finding the right resources; computer hardware, software, and personnel
- Educating all the employees on the information security
- Incorporating all the aforementioned aspects in securing the IT of ABC, Inc.
The implementation of the above actions was on the basis of Information Systems department, which installed the system. However, every employee was educated on the significance of continuous use of the installed program. For instance, the marketing teams had to be educated on the need for the antivirus. Lastly, every employee was be given login details that are unique to their departments, which ensured that such employees only accessed relevant information or data to their department (Herath & Rao, 2009).
The results obtained were reduced attacks from virus, increased access of relevant information, and effective monitoring and resolving of security issues within the firm. Indeed, the results were encouraging and very effective.
Herath, T., & Rao, H. R. (2009). Encouraging information security behaviors in organizations: Role of penalties, pressures and perceived effectiveness. Decision Support Systems, 47(2), 154-165.
Siponen, M., & Willison, R. (2009). Information security management standards: Problems and solutions. Information & Management, 46(5), 267-270.
Whitman, M. E., & Mattord, H. J. (2011). Principles of information security. Course Technology Ptr.