- Individuals are important at NASA because they are the driving force. They are an important recourse because they design, build, modify, test, maintain spacecrafts and fly the spacecrafts.
- Lessons learned program involves the use of information and knowledge gained from previous projects to prevent making the same mistakes again. Also involves considering great aspects that can be used for future projects. It promotes better project management because it helps mitigate risks and also increase efficiency.
- Individual accountability in managing risks is important at NASA because it allows individuals to do their best at the part or role they have been entrusted to perform. This increases risk mitigation efficiency because when everybody gives their best and is comfortable with the level of risk mitigation then the whole project will have effectively mitigated its risks. The team shoulders the responsibility for success but the team is comprised of the individuals. The main goal is large and requires people with different skills, knowledge and experience to handle different elements of the entire process in order to realize success.
- A good project manager needs to be optimistic. He should select competent people to work with who will assist him accomplish the objectives because he cannot do everything by himself. He should know his job; have the necessary competence needed for him to do his work. He should also ensure that the people working around him understand their responsibilities. Work well with people and also be a good communicator.
- Leadership is part of being a good project manager. This is because the manager always has a group of people passionate and committed to satisfactory results waiting for guidance from the manager.
- Leadership Integrity affects project success because it affects how day to day decisions are made and received by the team members. Leadership integrity also ensures that everybody involved understands the motives behind decisions and so that decisions made are in the best interest of the project and are not clouded by personal interests.
- NASA (2008 May 19). NASA Project Management Challenge 2008 (Video File). Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yERUM9k7aE
- Frank, H. (2002). A Guide to Project Management. Graz: Council of Europe Publishing.