The presence of power signifies authority over a given territorial regime. Government plays a significant role over its citizens at any given time, the US government is divided into two; the national and state government, this is due to the presence and sovereignty of the constitution (Stuart, 5). This paper aims at evaluating the range of responsibilities and power that the state government has over its citizens. The citizens are obliged to owe unlimited obedience and respect to the state government, this is due to the scope of responsibilities that it exercises over its citizens. The state government of the US is tasked with the following responsibilities;
- Establish local governments. The state government is majorly tasked with the responsibility of putting in place local governments that will aid in carrying out feasible activities that promote the welfare of a given state in the subject. local governments comprise mainly of local arms that help in exercising the length of authority that the state government is tasked with.
- Taking measure of public health and safety. Security is one of the significant factors that every single citizen is tasked to enjoy it freely. State government ought to provide timely security and an environment free from any security threats to both the merchants and the citizens in general. Promoting healthy living standards is also another critical responsibility of the state government. This aids in developing utmost cohesion in the welfare of the citizens.
- Conduct intrastate business. The state governments are mainly tasked with ensuring that all the businesses within the territories of the state are guarded at all times. The welfare of the intrastate business determines the extent at which the economic growth of a given state will thrive. This is essential for enhancing positive business practices that will lead to favorable competitive advantage among business owners.
- Issue licenses. This is the actual responsibility of every state within the US. Licenses that permit every given individual to undertake business within any given state is favored by streamlined policies that are put in place. License gives a given individual the authority to undertake different scope of businesses within the state territory (Kula, 92). This is an actual example where power plays a significant role and obedience towards authority must be enhanced at all times.
- Ratification of amendments to the constitution. Cross-checking of all the amendments that are being channeled into the underlying constitution is ratified by all the states across the US. This allows collective responsibility among the states within the US in safeguarding the interests of the public.
- The state government is conditioned to exert powers to the constitution which does not necessarily disallow the national government from using the powers in subject. The state government is usually tasked with the responsibility of exerting power to the available constitution through a system of amendments. This system does not necessarily prohibit the national government from using the available state powers that are available in the constitution.
The above responsibilities outline the extent at which the state governments expatriate its sole responsibility for its citizens. This represents a system of authority that is put in place in order to necessitate all the tasks that relate to the welfare of the state residents. This exemplifies power that is put in place; hence, obedience is incumbent thing for every resident within the state. It is however hypothetical to realize that the presence of all these responsibilities is to enhance both intra and interstate cohesion in terms of development and progress.
This is the main system of authority in place in every given state within the US. They enhance the security and progression development among state objects. State government exercises its authority through the several amendments that are available in the constitution, through this, it is able to retain and refrain every single citizen from criminal minded to development oriented (Rosenstein et al. 188). It is evident to note that, the state governments use a system of independent security system to enhance the overall security across the state organs. The sole purpose of this independent system of security enhances efficient security among the residents within the state. It uses the available power that is vested on them by the legitimacy of the constitution to exercise maximum control over the residents within the state. This helps to prevent and avert possible instances of criminal-minded individuals who can destabilize the smooth operation of economic and social, as well as political activities across the state. It is also incumbent to note that, the presence of ample security provision within the state is to aid aversion of criminal gangs and activities within the state. This serves as the sole aim of the provision of the state government towards its citizens. Authority plays a significant role in ensuring that all the citizens within the territories of the state is free from any threat of security. Thus, it is incumbent for any citizen to exercise great respect and obedience towards the state organs that are put in place.
Legal issues, cultural conflicts and power struggles
Legal issues are unavoidable especially in a system where the state deals with the individuals and groups of different races and religious backgrounds. Constant contradiction to the provision of laws that are put in place by the presence of the sovereign power of the constitution leads to comprehending instances of legal upheavals. Cultural conflicts are another significant factor that is hard to do away. Every individual present in any given state is obliged to adhere to their respective cultural setting despite the power of civilization. This is the basic approach at which every single individual within the societal setup adheres and identifies themselves in respect to the available constitutional provision. It is a wholesome idea to recognize and identify the extent at which the power of culture plays among individuals within the society. Cultural conflicts results when individuals from different cultures contravenes on the basic expectations of every individual within the society. Respect and obedience towards cultural expectations of different individuals within a society is incumbent at all times.
Power struggles are basically the extent at which individuals and persons within the state yearn for a given position. This is due to the extent at which such individuals have different desires and agendas for the absolute power achievement. Power struggle leads to qualitative competition among possible power fighters. A time this leads to unhealthy competition among the potential power fighters and brings about undesired conflicts that are politically motivated. Power struggles are brought about by the urge to transform the general status of the community and state as a whole. Every individual who is interested in holding a given office usually owns a blueprint of all the transformative advances that he/she can add to the development grid of the state. State government facilitates independent power personnel through a system of elections. This is the ultimate approach at which every single citizen can choose a candidate of interest to represent a given power gap that lacks the rightful personnel.
Relevance of Power, authority and Resistance to me
There is a leveraged relevance of the urge for power and obedience to a system of authority that is in place to daily routine of every individual. Power brings about transformative change within the society; it facilitates positive advancements in terms of development. Authority stipulates a streamlined mechanism that can be used to facilitate timely progress within the society and state as a whole. Authority offers a stepping stone that can be used to formulate a series of progressive development within the state. It is only through a system of authority that progress from any given scope can be realized. Resistance within a system of state governance is basically a tool that is used to cross-check the general moves that the technocrats are using to stimulate development in the society. Resistance offers a criticism path that power can be analyzed on the basis of progressive impacts that adds on the general community and state advancement. It is incumbent to monitor the extent of power that is applied to stimulate progress in the society. This allows the ultimate position which can be used to analyze and catalyze the significant progress that is impacted to the state organ. Obedience to authority and power is, however, incumbent at any given time.
Kula, Maria Cornachione. "Are US State And Local Governments Consumption Smoothers?." Journal Of Economic Studies 41.1 (2014): 87-100.
Rosenstein, Carole, et al. "The Distribution And Policy Implications Of US State Government General Operating Support To The Arts And Culture: Lessons From The Great Recession." Cultural Trends 22.3/4 (2013): 180-191.
Stuart, Elaine. "Balance of power." State Government News Jan. 1997: 5.