- The article has some flow. The author presents the article by first providing a general overview of the article. Further, the author goes ahead and provides a problem statement that the article will try to address in the introduction. Consequently, there is smooth transition from the introduction into the body of the paper where the author concludes the first paragraph with the problem and indicates that different companies are using approaches. The following section on the development provides a description of a technology solution the companies are using. The author provides a description of the technology used and provides an illustration, which is helpful in guiding the reader in understanding the technology solution. The author is also keen to provide the applications of the technology and voices environmental impacts that emanate from the use of the technology. This is particularly important since environmental issues are significant in the global development. However, the author does not provide a concluding paragraph to summarize the article and maybe offer a general recommendation concerning the technology being discussed.
Summary of the Paper
- The problem the author presents is the inefficiency of the current snowmaking technologies. Because of the climate change, availability of snow becomes difficult and this affects resorts, which depend on snow to attract customers. The author provides one solution technology, which involves utilizing spray guns either pre-installed in the ceiling in cases of indoor skiing or on the slopes of a mountain. Based on the refrigeration principle there is reduction of water and aluminum oxide temperatures below the freezing point and once released via the spray guns they form snow once they touch the cold surface. The author provides areas where the technology can be applied such as in resorts in Sweden, Dubai and Stockholm. The author also notes that in the application of this technology in areas such as Dubai where temperatures are relatively high, huge amounts of power are required. To produce high amounts of power, energy needs to be sourced from natural gas, a fossil fuel, whose extraction contributes to global warming.
Organizational Headings and Figures
- The headings of the paper provide details about each section. However, the second heading on development seems to be somehow vague. A more direct heading such as current technology solution may help improve the flow of the paper in case a reader is looking for a specific part such as what solutions are being offered or skimming to get details quickly.
- The figures used are easy to understood and illustrate the general situation of how the technology is being applied.
- The figures do not entirely make the whole paper concise. This is attributed to the lack of detailed discussion of each figure. Further, the different parts on each figure are not well labeled for the author to identify which part is which.
The figures used are self-explanatory. Additionally, the author clearly identifies the problem to be addressed in the introductory paragraph.
- This paper has a systematic flow. The author provides a background of the technology. The background introduces the reader to the topic of artificial intelligence. Then the author provides a description of how artificial intelligence can be implemented. Then this is followed by a discussion of two solution approaches. In the conclusion, the author comments on the future implications of this technology and provides information on what can be done to better this area.
- The topic under discussion is actually relevant in the world today. Organizations, institutions and governments are trying to implement the use of artificial intelligence systems in many activities to faster production and improve performance. The author notes that the sensory system adapted in the artificial intelligence system uses an insect sensory system as opposed to a human sensory system. This is because a human sensory system is complicated. Application of such a technology in the military or police force may have significant benefits in terms of saving lives and ensuring the safety of citizens. The author notes that there are two possible solutions when it comes to the use of the insect sensory system, one system can use the honeybee’s sensory system while another can use the moth’s sensory system. The author indicates that using a honeybee system is more likely to be less complicated since it uses a color recognition and reward system. On the other hand the moth system, is complicated based on the studies conducted as the use of odor is requires a more complicated system than a simple color reward system.
- The headings in the paper provide details about each section. For instance, in the background section the author provides a detailed analysis of the artificial intelligence and how it can be applied. Further, this is followed by a discussion of the areas of application of this technology. Under the current solutions, the author offers at least two solutions and discusses them briefly.
- The first figure is easy to understand. The second figure requires keen analysis to understand the process, which is being described.
- Only the second figure tends to make the paper more concise as it provides a more detailed look of the core sensory process involved in artificial intelligence.