My High School Graduation Day
- Attention-getter/hook/teaser. Nelson Mandela said that “education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world” (“Quotes About Education,” 2013)
- Tie to the audience. Just like you, I am here today because of my desire to complete my education and to learn more.
- Thesis/main topic. In this regard, I would like to commemorate my high school graduation day, which I consider to be one of the important milestones in my life.
- Preview of points. In particular, I would like to talk about
- My struggles in high school
- The role that my parents played in my secondary education
- The life lessons I’ve learned
- Body – My Struggles in High School
- Transitional word or phrase with a topic sentence for point 1. In high school, I encountered many of the typical struggles that most high school students experience.
- Evidence. I had to try to cope with the many requirements in school. I tried to do as well as I could in order to not disappoint my parents and in order to ensure that I’d have a good chance of getting into a good school in college. I also had to balance my time between school work and my family and friends.
- Analysis. The difficulties I experienced in high school helped me learn to prioritize my goals and my time. My efforts to study hard also enriched me as a person and have enabled me to qualify for higher education in the academic institution of my choice. For me, it is very important to get a good college education, as it would ensure a good future for me. As reported by Time Magazine, despite the high unemployment rates, college graduates still have a better chance of getting employed than those who do not have a college degree (Webley, 2012).
- Summarize. In summary, high school equipped me with the tools that I needed to qualify for higher education. It was also a great learning experience in that it enabled me to explore and develop my skills and talents.
Body – Point 2. The role that my parents played in my secondary education.
- Transitional word or phrase with a topic sentence for point 2. I would also like to point out that my parents played an important role in my completion of high school.
- Evidence. My parents provided me with all of the resources and the support that I needed to complete high school. They made sure that I got a good education and they never failed to encourage me during the difficult times.
- Analysis. I can say that I’m very lucky to have my parents. Without them, I wouldn’t have completed high school and I probably wouldn’t be here right now.
- Summarize. That said, I am truly grateful to my parents and I hope to make them proud of me again now that I am in college.
The life lessons I’ve learned
Transitional word or phrase with a topic sentence for point 3. Lastly, high school taught me not only about the mathematics and the sciences. It also taught me many lessons about life.
- Evidence. High school gave me the chance to meet and interact with different kinds of people. I have also learned the value of hard work, given that I had to work hard for my grades and that my parents had to work hard to provide for my needs, too.
- Analysis. My experiences in high school have taught me about how to develop and preserve relationships. They have also taught me that I have to work hard in order to achieve my goals.
- Summarize. With that, I believe that my high school experiences have helped me become a stronger and wiser person who is capable of dealing with a new set of experiences and challenges in college.
- Transitional word or phrase leading into the conclusion. In conclusion, I would like to state again that high school was a very memorable time for me.
- Restate your preview of points. It enabled me to learn about not only practical things that I can use in my everyday activities but also about life lessons that can help me become a better person. This was also a time when my parents provided me with so much love and support, enabling me to succeed in that endeavor.
- Restate your thesis. Because of these, my high school graduation day was really a significant part of my life. It marked the end of my childhood and the beginning of my adulthood.
- Link back to your audience. For sure, you also have your own high school memories and I hope that you can also use them to help you as you continue your journey through college.
- Link back to your credentials. I know that I will always cherish my time in high school and that it will be one of the most important chapters in the book of my life.
- End with impact. Because of my successful high school graduation day, I am now standing before you. Although high school will always be a fond memory for me, I am now ready and excited for the new experiences I will have in college!
Quotes about education. (2013). Retrieved from
Webley. (2012, August 16). One more time: Yes, college is worth it. Retrieved from