Combustion chambers comprise igniter, fuel injectors, and igniter pugs. It was developed to burn a fuel-air combination and convey gases a temperature not surpassing the allowable limitation at turbine inlet. Hypothetically, the compressor conveys 100% of its air through volume to the combustion chamber. Nevertheless, the fuel-air combination has a ratio of 5 parts of air to 1 part of fuel by density. An estimated 25% of this air is utilized to meet the required fuel-air ratio. The other 75% is utilized to create an air blanket about the burning gases to weaken the temperature that can reach as much as 3500o F, by about one-half. This guarantees that the turbine section will not be damaged by excessive heat (Bolgarskii, 2014).
Figure 1: Layout of combustion chamber (Serruys, 2013, p. 119)
How Combustion Chamber at 326 MW Works
The natural gas is burned within the combustion chambers of the 2-gas turbines, together with the generators at the back of turbines providing an output of 280 megawatts each. Their exhaust gases are very hot, which implies they may easily generate steam of a high pressure and temperature (about 160 bar and 150oC) inside two heat recovery boilers, that is later directed toward the shared turbines (Merker & Schwarz, 2012).
At the back of this turbine, a generator produces a further 326 MW. After the steam has performed its task, it is converted into water inside the condenser. Should the turbines be stand still, the steam rapidly fires up its component. Its output rises by 30 MW per minute, suggesting in a half an hour, the power station can run a full capacity (Serruys, 2013).
It may similarly be slowed easily, a level of flexibility that was unimaginable a few years back. This type of combustion is of high speed sprinter of power production. It also provides safe, effective generation, exceptional flexibility, and rapid load cycling (Kalghatgi, 2012).
Bolgarskii, A. V. (2014). Calculation of processes in the combustion chamber and nozzle of a liquid-propellant rocket engine. Ft. Belvoir: Defense Technical Information Center.
Kalghatgi, G. T. (2012). Effects of Combustion Chamber Deposits, Compression Ratio and Combustion Chamber Design on Power and Emissions in Spark-Ignition Engines. SAE Technical Paper Series, 215-220. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
Merker, G. P., & Schwarz, C. (2012). Combustion engines development mixture formation, combustion, emissions and simulation. Berlin: Springer.
Serruys, M. (2013). Experimental study of ignition by hot spot in internal combustion engines. Washington, D.C.: National Advisory Commitee for Aeronautics.